Asian Spicy Pork Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally got around to making more jerky. I hate cleaning the trays with a passion so do it infrequently. I am determined to find an easier cleanup unit or process as I’d like to make jerky monthly. My take on a recipe combining elements of @disco @xray and Steve H Steve H : 10 lbs pork loin sliced roughly 1/4”. I slice across grain and then halve each slice. 2 1/4 cups Tamari (lower carb than soy), 2T toasted sesame oil, 4T chili garlic sauce, 1T fish sauce, 6T Brown Swerve, 2T Gojucharu pepper flakes, 2T onion powder, 2T garlic powder, 2 1/2T black pepper, 1 1/2t mustard powder, 1to 2 t ginger powder, 1t MSG (optional) 2t Cure #1. Marinaded overnight and onto trays I read in serveral places you could use parchment paper to line trays Gave it a go to reduce cleanup. As expected it slowed down drying a lot at the 5 hour mark I moved all to direct rack what it did so was dry most of the marinade making the mess on racks minimal. All slices were sprinkled on both sides with red pepper flake. View attachment 663548All loaded up and rolling View attachment 663549I did go through the trays and remove finished pieces at about 8 hours and the balance took about 10 or so. Ran at 160F. Yielded 3 lbs 11 oz. Here is some today after spending the night inbags with paper towel in the frig. View attachment 663550View attachment 663551This batch is very delicious but perhaps not as good as the last batch. The ginger seemed a bit weak so I’ll taste test next time or buy fresh ground. Marinade time was about 12 hours which is shorter than my normal 24 which I’ll go back too and lastly I will not used reduced sodium Tamari next time. I had it on hand so used half that and half regular. Friends rave about this batch too but like all of you Im sure, I’m my own harshest critic. Thanks for looking!
Looks great! Any ideas of converting to ground pork? I have some pork left from last years butcher and woul like to just grind up. Thanks

Looks great! Any ideas of converting to ground pork? I have some pork left from last years butcher and woul like to just grind up. Thanks
I've never done ground so cant really help. I'm sure others will chime in.

Reactions: ramatack
I've made a lot of ground jerky and "sticks" from beef and venison. Never used pork but I can't imagine it would behave much differently. Just make sure your amount of cure is appropriate for your amount of meat and from there it's just flavorings. Give it a try with a couple of pounds and adjust if needed.

That looks great but still trying to figure out how the air was able to circulate with the parchment paper? Thanks for sharing

That looks great but still trying to figure out how the air was able to circulate with the parchment paper? Thanks for sharing
It slowed the process for sure but helped with cleanup. Next time I'll start with paper but once the outside sticky liquid solidifies I'll remove it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky