As they say. It's easier to ask for forgiveness....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Educate me; I'm low-class. My typical home pizza is Walmart Rising Crust (with extra pepperoni, jalapenos, etc) defrosted for two minutes in uW oven, then cooked for 12-15 minutes on a cast iron pan at 450F. I can attest that cooking outside in the pellet grill gives a great improvement with a wood-inspired taste. But I'm limited to 500F on either cooker. Do 2-minute cooks in 800F ovens really taste better? Or is it just about the speed?

I do prefer a thick, bread-y crust. (So-called Chicago styles.) Google seems to tell me a classic Neapolitan pizza is 700F for 2 mins but chains like Round Table (hey, my wife's fave) are only 500F.

Great looking oven Steve, tagging on to see the great eats coming soon.

David
Thanks David!
Educate me; I'm low-class. My typical home pizza is Walmart Rising Crust (with extra pepperoni, jalapenos, etc) defrosted for two minutes in uW oven, then cooked for 12-15 minutes on a cast iron pan at 450F. I can attest that cooking outside in the pellet grill gives a great improvement with a wood-inspired taste. But I'm limited to 500F on either cooker. Do 2-minute cooks in 800F ovens really taste better? Or is it just about the speed?

I do prefer a thick, bread-y crust. (So-called Chicago styles.) Google seems to tell me a classic Neapolitan pizza is 700F for 2 mins but chains like Round Table (hey, my wife's fave) are only 500F.
Well, I can't answer about the pellet oven, yet. But with my gas one. I think the fast cooking lends to the flavor. The slight char. And cupped pepperoni are great. Which gives them a pizza joint taste. With the stone being at 900 degrees or higher helps the crust to set and get crispy. Though, I often turn the oven down to around 650 once the stone gets to temp. Helps control the cook. At 950 degrees you need to really pay attention to what's going on.

1653749942704.gif

Now I already have the Ooni 16" Koda gas pizza oven. And love it. But a couple weeks ago I was at a guys house looking at his washing machine that broke down on him. Baby sock got sucked into the pump drain line. While standing in his garage shooting the breeze. I noticed something covered under a Ooni cover. Low and behold. It was a Ooni Fyra wood fire pizza oven. So, that got us talking! I mentioned to him that I heard that you didn't notice any wood smell or taste on the pizza. He said that wasn't true at all. It's every bit the same as a wood fired pizza from a pizza shop. And invited me to drop by later to try one.
Jim whipped up a simple Napolitan pizza. And it was amazing! Sooooo....
View attachment 628829

It just so happened that the military store had one for 50.00 off with no taxes. And free shipping. And it looks like this will fit perfecting on the cart I made for the blackstone griddle. And being smaller it is popular for taking on vacations. Ordered!!
congratulations, and good luck. please report back as you settle in.

Now I already have the Ooni 16" Koda gas pizza oven. And love it. But a couple weeks ago I was at a guys house looking at his washing machine that broke down on him. Baby sock got sucked into the pump drain line. While standing in his garage shooting the breeze. I noticed something covered under a Ooni cover. Low and behold. It was a Ooni Fyra wood fire pizza oven. So, that got us talking! I mentioned to him that I heard that you didn't notice any wood smell or taste on the pizza. He said that wasn't true at all. It's every bit the same as a wood fired pizza from a pizza shop. And invited me to drop by later to try one.
Jim whipped up a simple Napolitan pizza. And it was amazing! Sooooo....
View attachment 628829

It just so happened that the military store had one for 50.00 off with no taxes. And free shipping. And it looks like this will fit perfecting on the cart I made for the blackstone griddle. And being smaller it is popular for taking on vacations. Ordered!!
be
grill fam.jpg
en askin for forgiveness about 7 units now....

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky