Applying Cure While Frozen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rahzel427

Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hello All,

New to the forum to ask a question I have researched and found little on specifically. I purchased two pieces of pork belly frozen from my butcher on Tuesday, about 3.5 and 3 lbs, and wanted to start the curing process right away. I kept the frozen belly in my fridge for a few hours then applied a dry rub cure that night, while it was still mostly frozen. It is two days into the cure now. Did I waste my time applying it while atill frozen or will the cure take? Thank you all.

It won't accept cure while it's frozen.
Best temp for curing is between 36° and 38°.
I keep my fridge at exactly 37°.

Bear

Reactions: JC in GB
So essentially, it was thawing while the cure was on...it should be thawed by now, but will it be accepying the cure now? Should I start the process over?

So essentially, it was thawing while the cure was on...it should be thawed by now, but will it be accepying the cure now? Should I start the process over?

You can check with others, like ChefJJ or DaveOmak, but I would doubt a couple days laying around on some frozen meat would do a lot of Degrading to the cure.
The meat will accept it after thawing, and like I said, as long as the cure hasn't degraded you should be in good shape.

Bear

Reactions: webs05
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky