Applewood Smoked Maple Bacon (illustrated)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome looking bacon how did the maple flavor come out I've tried a few times with differing methods but have yet to get the maple flavor I'm looking for

Thanks PW! I've never achieved the maple flavor I'm looking for and this batch was no different. There's a hint of maple, but not the rich maple flavor I'd like to get. I've always used this cure and in the past have tried adding some Mapleline to it after a couple of days in the fridge, made no difference. I think in the future I might try ordering a maple bacon cure from PS Seasonings or The Sausage Maker to see what kind of difference that'd make. RAY

Looks great Ray . Nice work .

Thanks Rich! Between carrying all my gear from the garage to the kitchen and prepping for the sausage making it's getting to be a little too much like work, my back doesn't like it. RAY

Well... Now this is one awesome looking bacon! Just beautiful color and it looks very tasty. Nice slicing too. BIG LIKE!

Thank you Push, I had a great feeling about this the minute I got home and sliced the belly in half. I love my meat slicer, let's me carve the bacon nice and thick, the way I like it. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

That’s some awesome looking bacon Ray!! Looking forward to seeing some of it for breakfast! Like!

You won't have to wait long Xray, I only sampled a couple of slices this morning. I always like to see how it tastes with eggs for brekky, my staple. I love French toast and bacon for breakfast but I want to get a better read on the maple flavor of this batch without it swimming in syrup. Thank you for the like, it's greatly appreciated. RAY

That is some beautiful bacon Ray. Incredible color. Like.

Thanks SmokinEdge, I am very happy with the appearance and flavor , best I've ever made in over 15 years of rolling my own. Thank you for the Like, it's much appreciated. RAY

Thanks PW! I've never achieved the maple flavor I'm looking for and this batch was no different. There's a hint of maple, but not the rich maple flavor I'd like to get. I've always used this cure and in the past have tried adding some Mapleline to it after a couple of days in the fridge, made no difference. I think in the future I might try ordering a maple bacon cure from PS Seasonings or The Sausage Maker to see what kind of difference that'd make. RAY

I tried every way I could think of, with real maple syrup, Maple Sugar, and a couple other things,---Before, During & after curing. Never got good Maple Flavor.
Check with Disco---He says he manage to get Maple flavor, but I quit trying by that time.

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
I think in the future I might try ordering a maple bacon cure from PS Seasonings or The Sausage Maker to see what kind of difference that'd make. RAY
I bought some of the maple breakfast sausage seasoning from sausage maker . Smells like maple in the jar , that's as far as it went . The bacon cure may be different result but I doubt it .

Reactions: sawhorseray
I bought some of the maple breakfast sausage seasoning from sausage maker . Smells like maple in the jar , that's as far as it went . The bacon cure may be different result but I doubt it .

Thanks Rich, I'll cross them off the list and maybe give PS Seasonings a shot, they work on my sausage. I've found the best and only way to get the maple flavor I'm looking for in bacon is to have French toast or a waffle with lots or syrup in the plate! RAY

Thanks Rich, I'll cross them off the list and maybe give PS Seasonings a shot, they work on my sausage. I've found the best and only way to get the maple flavor I'm looking for in bacon is to have French toast or a waffle with lots or syrup in the plate! RAY

LOL---That works with Sausage too!

Bear

No Jabiru, Bob doesn't get much bacon, steak fat yes, but bacon takes work. I trim the bacon after it's smoked so it will fit into my vac-seal bags. I take the trimmings and chop them up and save then to fry up for a pizza topping or to put into a pot of beans. RAY

Last week I went to Costco and found they had pork belly. I dug thru them all and found the biggest, thickest one.
View attachment 434731

When I got it home I cut the belly in half, knew then I'd picked a winner.
View attachment 434732

Made a mix of 18grams Cure#1, 4.6 ounces canning salt, two ounces maple sugar, 1 cup pure 100% maple syrup. Stirred the mixture up to make a nice goo and applied a even amount to each half belly, rubbing it in all over, making sure to use it all, then double bagged the bellys in 2 gallon Ziplocs for a week in the fridge.
View attachment 434733

I took the bellys out twice a day to massage and rotate them, after a week it was time for a warm water rinse and get fitted on some hooks
View attachment 434734

I had my Pro 100 pre-heated to 100º with vents wide open, let them dry hanging for 2&1/2 hours. Added a pan of applewood chips and raise the smoker temp to 110º for the next five hours vents closed down to 1/3 open, then added another fresh pan and raised the temp to 135º for another five hours.
View attachment 434735

After smoking for another five hours I took out the chip pan, closed the vents, and raised the temp on the Pro 100 to 170º. I had the alarm set on my TP-20 for 135º, poured a glass of Evan and fell asleep in front of the TV until the alarm went off, it had been a darned long day. After a couple hours on the kitchen counter I tossed the bellys in the fridge and called it a day. Up early this morning to set up the slicer and get to work, there's a lot to do today.
View attachment 434736

This had the look of the best bacon of my smoking career, test fry verified that, ate it and forgot to take a pic.
View attachment 434737View attachment 434738

Got everything vac-sealed and in the freezer
View attachment 434739

With one project wrapped up there's a slight break for Bob's vet appointment to get a couple vaccinations, we're all set for some sausage making after that.

View attachment 434741

More to come soon, thanks for looking. RAY
Beautiful bellies!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky