• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

apple wood

smokin heels

Joined Aug 30, 2012
just cut alot of apple wood pieces right off a tree,.. how long should i cure it before its perfect time to smoke with?

cliffcarter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 28, 2010
I use apple unseasoned if it is for smoke only, I just place 3" long x 1" thick pieces on the lit charcoal. If you want to burn it as a heat source in place of charcoal you will need to season for at least a year.l

cliffcarter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 28, 2010
heard it makes it bitter..is that true? unseasoned wood....
I use apple unseasoned if it is for smoke only, I just place 3" long x 1" thick pieces on the lit charcoal. If you want to burn it as a heat source in place of charcoal you will need to season for at least a year.l
No, I have never noticed any bitterness, just use small pieces for smoke flavor. 

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
I tried using unseasoned apple wood for smoke once. It gave off a very acrid smoke that stung my eyes, and built up creosote in my smoker. I only used seasoned now.

Last edited:

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
Combined with charcoal. I don't recall how much I used Probably no more than 12 oz. total.

I'd buy some apple chunks (they're easy to find) and save your tree pieces for next year.

whitfieldnc

Joined Oct 20, 2016
Has anyone smoked with Apple Wood that put off a lot of white smoke? With it being a lighter wood, would it make a brisket bitter?

niallam

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2015
I dry all mine on an ice machine in work, has a huge hot air output and big fans :)

Here's some I cut only yesterday, have 1,000kg I've to prep now for next years cooking.
I always season it, but not too well.

I spend most of my time cleaning the wood as Apple trees always seem to be covered in moss :)

niallam

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 18, 2015
More Apple cut :)
The pile is all apple, quite a bit of work taking all the moss and loose bark off but got 100kg chopped into chunks and hardly made a dent in the pile.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.