apple wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use apple unseasoned if it is for smoke only, I just place 3" long x 1" thick pieces on the lit charcoal. If you want to burn it as a heat source in place of charcoal you will need to season for at least a year.l

heard it makes it bitter..is that true? unseasoned wood....
I use apple unseasoned if it is for smoke only, I just place 3" long x 1" thick pieces on the lit charcoal. If you want to burn it as a heat source in place of charcoal you will need to season for at least a year.l
No, I have never noticed any bitterness, just use small pieces for smoke flavor. 

I tried using unseasoned apple wood for smoke once. It gave off a very acrid smoke that stung my eyes, and built up creosote in my smoker. I only used seasoned now.

Last edited:
Combined with charcoal. I don't recall how much I used Probably no more than 12 oz. total.

I'd buy some apple chunks (they're easy to find) and save your tree pieces for next year.

Has anyone smoked with Apple Wood that put off a lot of white smoke? With it being a lighter wood, would it make a brisket bitter?

I dry all mine on an ice machine in work, has a huge hot air output and big fans :)

Here's some I cut only yesterday, have 1,000kg I've to prep now for next years cooking.
I always season it, but not too well.

I spend most of my time cleaning the wood as Apple trees always seem to be covered in moss :)

More Apple cut :)
The pile is all apple, quite a bit of work taking all the moss and loose bark off but got 100kg chopped into chunks and hardly made a dent in the pile.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky