Apple wood Chops and tater puffs! On the mini of course!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Found some nice looking bone in loin chops on sale. So we fired up the Mini-WSM with lump and applewood.

Whipped up a batch of smokey sharp cheddar tater puffs and enjoyed!

7a2a3a5a.jpg

My little Sous chef took care of putting together the tater puffs while I tended to the fire.

da7y4yve.jpg

Mashed taters, chives, sour cream, grated smoked sharp cheddar.

You can add bacon, hot sauce, any type of cheese and spice you want.

ru2a4uzu.jpg

Grease or line muffin tin. Spoon in tater mix. Top with cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Pop in a 400* oven until brown on top and set up.

sa6yjepy.jpg

unena8e6.jpg

jy2a2edy.jpg

eqa2y6eg.jpg

gu3yga2a.jpg

a3atuzut.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Man all of that looks good! I've never made tater puffs but going to now! Thanks for sharing.

Did you do any kind of reverse sear on those chops?

Last edited:

Man all of that looks good! I've never made tater puffs but going to now! Thanks for sharing.

Did you do any kind of reverse sear on those chops?
Thanks Doug. The tater puffs are great. they set up more if you grease a the tin and don't use parchment. Some add an egg or two, but I never do.

My plan was to do the reverse sear, but I got busy with life and well I didn't. Here is what I did though. I used lump and lit one little area next to the side air inlet on the mini. I hit TBS when the Mini hit a temp of 165°, so I threw the chops on. I left all the vents open (remember my plan was to reverse sear) The temp on the mini rose consistently for the next 1 1/2 hours. At about 45-50 minutes I checked the chops and flipped. At that point the mini temp at  the cooking grate was at 285°. The chops weren't quite done so I just let it cruise. I knew I wasn't going to get to do the sear. When I pulled the chops the mini was at 325°, both sides nicely seared. These were thin chops. Had I been able to find thicker ones a sear would have been needed.

WHY WHY WHY do you have to post this just before my lunch all the time??? You are very mean.

Man that looks great, will have to try the tater puffs. those look very yummy - Those would be a good app for munchies for the super bowl  
drool.gif

Could you smoke them at 225 for about 2hrs or so or do you think they would dry out??

Have a great weekend GO HAWKS!!!!!

WHY WHY WHY do you have to post this just before my lunch all the time??? You are very mean.

Man that looks great, will have to try the tater puffs. those look very yummy - Those would be a good app for munchies for the super bowl  
drool.gif

Could you smoke them at 225 for about 2hrs or so or do you think they would dry out??

Have a great weekend GO HAWKS!!!!!
DS, at least you get lunch! I don't think that they would dry out, but they might not brown up. Worth a try. I can say that the smokey sharp cheddar we used was plenty of smoke flavor. Add a few drops of Chulula of tapatio or other hot sauce in there. That's really good. Pepper jack cheese too. Oh and crumbled bacon!

Ohmy ! That looks so good ! Great to see that sous chef helping you. Nice looking meal. Thanks for sharing. Love the nice close up photos , BTW.

Thanks HB! Yeah he's a great helper. Has his own knives, and apron. He did everything for the taters. I can't take credit for any of the work except the recipe!

Hi Case!

Looks like a great meal, and WOW! those are some beautiful pictures. I gave you :points: for the gorgeous pictures and the yummy-looking tater puffs. I've never tried that before, but sounds like a fun and festive serving idea especially when the mashed taters crisp up a little.

Your little guy is turning into quite the chef. His own knives? We'll be seeing him the the Food Network before too long!

Have a great night and Superbowl Sunday!
Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky