Appetizers for Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rugerlab

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Montana
Throwing a party on Christmas Eve and I want to make some appetizers using my smoker.  Any suggestions would be of great help, at this moment I am drawing a blank to serve something different. 

if your guests like spicy foods...maybe some Habenero ABTs. Do a search on here for the smoke caramel apple deserts, i havent done it yet but looks great. Smoked cabbage in white wine and butter. stuffed bell peppers.

just a few off the top of my head

Haven't tried this yet, but will do for Christmas party next week. Get some long pretzel rods and wrap in precooked bacon the smoke those.

Or try some pork shots....you can search that term. Take some kielbasa or sausage sliced thick, wrap that with bacon, making a shot glass,use toothpick to hold in place. Sausage is the bottom. Fill "glass" with assorted good stuff, cream cheese mix, cheeses, pulled pork...whatever you like.

Have fun, Merriest Christmas Wishes!

RG

I looked through those recipes for the pork shots and ABTs....  those look great, I will post pictures when I get them done.  I have some homemade kielbasa that I will use for the pork shots and for the ABTs I have some homemade pepperoni sticks (spicy) to stuff in the peppers with cream cheese.  Only thing that I am missing is homemade bacon, maybe I will do that after the holidays...

Do any of you think there would be a problem if I put the pork shots and ABTs together the day before so all I would have to do is put them in the smoker??

Thanks again for the ideas

There is no issues putting them together even 2 days ahead...JJ

Check out the Appetizer ideas on the Smoking-Meat.com webpage. I have used some of their ideas. As a matter of fact I followed the Smoked Armadillo Eggs recipe for a potluck last week and it was a hit.

Last edited:
Bacon wrapped smoked chicken fingers!

Cut chicken brest into finger sized strips, dust with BBQ rub, wrap in bacon, dust with more BBQ rub. Smoke them on the hot side to crisp the bacon.

Odds are not all your guests will like spicy foods. I have made plenty of ABTs in my day and while the "spicy food fans" love them, more people than not shy away from them. For the other 65-70% of people I stuff sausage in the colored bell peppers that are close to jalapeño size. They are always a big hit with everyone.

For both the bell peppers, and jalapeños I use a sweet Italian sausage and mix in a little sriracha sauce. Yes I even mix this in the bell pepper sausage as well. It gives a hint of heat, but not anything truly hot.

Stuff your peppers and wrap them in bacon. Smoke till done. I don't probe them since they are so small. I smoke till they look done, and then throw them on the grill to crisp the bacon up real good. Sometimes I'll brush with bbq sauce when grilling (just a few minutes on the grill) to add another layer of flavor.

Another way to combat the heat for the weak, is to stuff the jalapeños with cream cheese instead of sausage. They are ok, but anytime I can take a vegetable (the pepper) and add both bacon, and sausage to it I feel a little better about myself that day. 95% of the time I lean towards the double pig combo, and just mix in the mini bell peppers with the jalapeños.

Good luck! Now I'm gonna have to make some for Christmas!

Sausage stuffed mushroom caps is something I've been wanting to try. I'd precook the sausage stuffing so as not to overdo the mushrooms. A couple hours at 225 with hickory and they should be pretty tasty.

I now have enough ideas even for New Years Eve.  What I am going to make are the ATBs, Pork Shots with the same cheese mixture that I am going to use in the ATBs, and then little smokies wrapped in bacon dredged in brown sugar.  All in the smoker.  But I though of another combination for the ATBs.  Tell me what you think???

My wife makes a jalapeno cheese dip that you spread on pieces of French bread.  It consists of chopped artichoke hearts, cream cheese, mayo, cheddar cheese, garlic powder and jalapeno peppers chopped.  Do you think that would work in the ABTs???? or even the pork shots.

My family likes "Smoinks". 2 little smokies rolled in a mix of 3 parts brown sugar 1 part rub, wrapped in 1/2 piece bacon and rolled in rub mix again. Quick easy and good...

Hi Ruger. I think your wife's cheese dip would be AWESOME in both ABT's and pork shots. Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea! Good luck with the party and let us know how it goes.

Mike

here is the recipe...

1 cup Mayo

1 can artichoke hearts chopped

1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese

1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese 

1 brick of cream cheese

1 can diced chilies

1 can diced jalapenos

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

French Bread

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes if you are eating it on bread. 

I substitute cheddar cheese for pepper jack and skip the diced chilies and add more jalapenos (about 2 cups) to make it hotter..

I have to admit that I cheated when making over 2 dozen pork shots filled with cream cheese and over 2 dozen ATBs.  I loaded my jerky shooter (meat stick tip) with the cream cheese mixture and just shot it into the pork shots and peppers.  Worked slick and took no time what so ever...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky