• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Anyone watching The Butcher on History channel ?

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Never even heard of it.
Never seen any advertising for it.

History channel is so sorry arsed anymore, for many years.
I remember when they had real historical based programming.
Same goes for the Syfy channel and others.

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
[QUOTE="chilerelleno, post: 1963684, member: 119065"

History channel is so sorry arsed anymore, for many years.
I remember when they had real historical based programming.
Same goes for the Syfy channel and others.[/QUOTE]

You got that right Chili! Sign of the times I guess.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
YES! It's interesting to see how the oddball animals, python, alligator, nutria, and such get butchered. I was surprised to see a well known Traveling Butcher from the PNW, get eliminated. Never miss Forged In Fire either ..JJ

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2016
Found it by accident channel surfing...I thought it was quite interesting and entertaining...
I'll watch a few more times to see if theres anything to be learned but I'm guessing it probably wont be a "go to" program, but if I'm bored and it's on I'll certainly tune it in.
Walt.

branstone

Joined Sep 9, 2008
Forged in Fire is good too. that's where I saw the trailer. I do find it interesting watching them butcher the odd animals. and explain the different cuts of meat.

xray

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Yes, it seems to be a pretty good show. One thing I wondered about is that will they run out of different species of animals to butcher? There's only so many ways to skin a cat!

I really enjoy Forged in the Fire. I like how the competition is always friendly and helpful towards each other. None of that scripted drama crap you see in most reality shows.

Also, one of the judges J. Nelson is sort of local, he's from Towanda PA.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Truly educational? No, they are generally moving too fast to see, say how to remove a Flat Iron Steak from the Primal Chuck. But a Popcorn and Cold Beer bit of entertainment, that WE can relate to, it's worth watching...JJ

wimpy69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 4, 2014
Outside of the production drama, rather enjoy it. My childhood friends father was a butcher by trade in the 60's/70's when they still broke down sides in the local market. Seemed so interesting, we were taught how to use and respect both knives and the meat. Grew up thinking everyone ate slab belly bacon. Never knew so many guys with so many missing finger parts.

baboy

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 8, 2008
Thanks for sharing about this, need to look it up online since no cable anymore. Back in Wisconsin we would butcher our pigs and chickens at my friends farm.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I just watched the 1st episode via On-Demand.
Kind'a interesting and I did learn a bit more about butchering a gator.
And I'll give them half credit for at least trying to throw a token gesture at the 'History' of butchering and using one of the old tools of the trade.

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
I am a good friend of the person who won it, Sean Kelly. We know each other through his work on meat forums. The older guy he beat did a lousy job on the rib roast, cutting into the eye so bad.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 20, 2015
Just finished watching the the four episodes they have on hulu. I enjoyed it, learned a bit as well.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks