Anyone use Electric Chainsaw?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Both shoulders shot to the point of needing replacement surgery, got rid of third chainsaw and leaf blower last year. Bought a 14" Milwaukee electric, cut a palm tree into rounds in 15 minutes, love it! Pulling the cord on something that won't start can lead to a coronary. RAY

I just bought a Dewalt 16" cordless. Goes through green hardwood like butter. Huge improvement over the corded 14" Portland I bought from Harbor Freight for $35.

I came across a Black and Decker on Amazon about 5-6 years ago that was a heckuva deal. 20V lithium. It was so nice to be able to cut splits down into chunks at will without yanking on a cord. I too, used cooking oil as bar and chain oil....... and it got a little gummy so I switched to bar and chain after I quit smoking with wood. I have a small gas saw too, but that little battery job gets though limbs on the bradford pears up to about 4" with ease. I had one come down in the back yard and cut it up a little at a time. Used the gas on anything over 4-5" but the battery made by far the most cuts. I can't cut up a whole tree in one go anymore. Degen disc sux.

I have been using an EGO 16" for a few years now. I only need it a couple times a year but it cuts great. I also have the 56V blower and trimmer to go with it.

I found the Dewalt at Tractor Supply for $330. I was close to buying a Ryobi at Home Depot for $300 that was lower rated.

And finally, I feel like a real man, I own a Dewalt power tool. Its my first and only. :emoji_wink: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I consider myself a car guy and comfortable around internal combustion engines. That said, I have my hands full keeping a gas mower operational and I use it weekly. Way too much frustration using small gas engines on tools I only use occasionally. I've got two electric corded chainsaws and love 'em. Both have quick-off clutches for kickback safety. My opinion is if you sense you're loading down the motor your chain isn't sharp enough--it's not a power issue.

I still consider the price prohibitive on battery-operated tools with high power draw such as mowers or chain saws. But I was slow to get my first 18V NiCad Craftsman drill driver too many decades ago too.

All my tree trimmings go in the firepit or out in the trash...none of my trees I'd want to cook over.

I'd like to buy an electric mower, only because I'm tired of dealing with going to get gasoline, new spark plugs and filter, and changing oil. And my lawn is small enough that it would work.

I’ll chime in. I bought a Kobalt(Lowe’s) 40V saw a while back and loved it until the day I had to drop a tree that was between my truck and the way home. As soon as I dropped it across the road I thought “I’ll bet this thing dies right now” and it did. No warning, it either ran like hell or nothing.

Took it back and bought a gas Husqvarna so I could cut all day. That being said, I also ended up with a Dewalt cordless saw that could take all of my Dewalt batteries and loved the convenience of it. Ran strong, only limitation was a 16” bar.

I've been using chainsaws for about 50 years--all brands but always gas. Last summer I decided to get an electric corded saw for around the house. Paid under $100 for one. Couldn't keep the chain adjusted, rapidly coming loose and falling off. So I returned it and bought a different brand. Same problem. It got returned also. Turns out the chain tightener was a cheapo chunk of plastic.
For the first half dozen cuts they ran good--lots of power, but just useless if you have to take it apart and put the chain back on. Maybe the better quality, more expensive electric saws are better but I'm back to using one of my two gas powered saws.
If you get an electric saw, the chain tensioner is something to check on first.
Gary

Reactions: bill1 and 02ebz06
I've been using chainsaws for about 50 years--all brands but always gas. Last summer I decided to get an electric corded saw for around the house. Paid under $100 for one. Couldn't keep the chain adjusted, rapidly coming loose and falling off. So I returned it and bought a different brand. Same problem. It got returned also. Turns out the chain tightener was a cheapo chunk of plastic.
For the first half dozen cuts they ran good--lots of power, but just useless if you have to take it apart and put the chain back on. Maybe the better quality, more expensive electric saws are better but I'm back to using one of my two gas powered saws.
If you get an electric saw, the chain tensioner is something to check on first.
Gary

Reactions: gmc2003
Why do chain saws leak chain oil ?
The chain is long and connected. Oil is viscous but it still flows. Flows to the lowest point then puddles until a drop forms and then, drip!
I've got one in a cardboard box drenched in oil..but at least it's keeping the oil contained.
I've got another hanging on a rafter...it left a slippery spill the first week so I rigged up a plastic bottle that hangs under the low spot. I've emptied it once in the 7 years since.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
I use a Stihl gas powered at the farm...have 100 acres of trees

I always rent a gas powered pole saw - hardly need one and when it is rented it starts fast and easy and is always sharp.

I also have a Black and Decker battery powered pole saw. It is OK for limbs up to about 3 inches-max. The batteries last about 45 minutes of intermittent use and that's about as long as I can hold my arms and a pole saw over my head without a break.

I use electric chain saw at home (power cord) for small stuff...say up to 4 or 5-inches...no problem...bigger, I use the gas powered Stihl. Electric is quiet though!

BUT

I have recently tried the Milwaukee Battery Powered Chainsaw. Love it! So quiet no hearing protection is needed. I can handle it with one arm because it is half the weight of gas powered.

I've got a garage full of Craftsman 19.2V NiCad power tools. Like a spouse, there are great advantages, but a few disadvantages, to being married to a single technology for a lifetime. They are so outdated by today's lithium ion batteries. It'll still deliver 25 foot-pounds of torque (I measured) but it's not going to mow my lawn or chop down a tree. But I also hate to give them up or have to live with multiple different batteries and chargers.

But I gotta' ask...what does a spare Milwaukee Chainsaw battery cost?

...Black and Decker battery powered pole saw. It is OK for limbs up to about 3 inches-max...
I have something similar from Remington I believe. I've had no problem up to 6" with it, although you sometimes have to work from both sides with it. The whole purpose is to use it for stuff overhead, which can make for some excitement while you're trying to run away from falling objects while you're holding that lopsided thing.
I call it my "chainsaw on a stick". I find that hilarious but no one else in my family seems to see the humor...and they don't even appreciate the added risks in using it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky