Anyone use AC Leggs fresh Cajun Sausage spice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donaltman3

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2016
Valdosta, GA
Have anyone of you guys
used AC Legg’s “Fresh Cajun Sausage Seasoning?” It is their mix #110. I’m doing a third of a batch (just shy of 9 pounds.) I did 50% venison 50% Pork shoulder. Hoping for an andouille flavor. I immediately smelled something different when I opened the spices. It didn’t smell “Cajun” it smelled more southwestern. Like it might have cumin in it despite not listing it in the ingredients list. Upon frying up a test patty I thought it was missing something and tasted a lot like taco mix maybe or maybe just bbq chip flavor. Can’t put my finger exactly on it but it didn’t taste Cajun at all. I grew up in Lake Charles, I know andouille sausage. I upped the red pepper, added cayenne, smoked paprika, coarse black pepper and garlic. It was salty enough so I didn’t add anything g like that. I did mix in a beer. I tried another test patty from what was left in the stuffer and still tastes different from what I was expecting. I am smoking currently over pecan. It’s been going about four hours, should hit the cold water and bloom in another 30 minutes or so. I sure hope the long smoke and some time helps to change the flavor. The fresh patties were not horrible, but it just wasn’t what I was expecting.

I have not used that one . I have the chorizo mix . Its good , but same thing . I taste chili powder as the main spice , which probably fits better with chorizo . That being said I kept this last batch bulk , and use it as taco meat . I did increase the amount per pound to get better flavor .

I have not used that one . I have the chorizo mix . Its good , but same thing . I taste chili powder as the main spice , which probably fits better with chorizo . That being said I kept this last batch bulk , and use it as taco meat . I did increase the amount per pound to get better flavor .
It might be a chili powder taste I am tasting. Which is weird, like they used the wrong ground pepper it should be cayenne.

I just got a andouille mix from sausage maker . Haven't used it yet , but no chili powder smell .

FB114C8D-3958-4D41-A5AB-055ECA8A3CDE.jpeg

Attachments

• 842CBCB6-8866-48F3-AFB3-1CE722CAD6E5.jpeg
    842CBCB6-8866-48F3-AFB3-1CE722CAD6E5.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1032B452-211B-4605-9BB4-AF32637D173A.jpeg
    1032B452-211B-4605-9BB4-AF32637D173A.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 14
Well after smoking and blooming it is much improved. Not sure I will make more sausage with Legg’s #110 mix but it will get eaten and was fun to make. I was able to use a new stuffer and also a new grinder so it was good practice. I swear I still can smell or taste cumin or chili powder, it is so weird to me !?!

Attachments

• 6A037AFF-07E8-4F11-A586-1742EED2B57F.jpeg
    6A037AFF-07E8-4F11-A586-1742EED2B57F.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
My recommendation is to make your own seasoning. This is a very good one and representative of what you will find in the Suprettes (small cajun grocer/meat markets) in south Louisiana. You can leave the green onion or take it out-your call...

Looks like it came out good .
I just looked up the ingredients in the mix . It might be the white pepper you smell .

I like the Leggs mixes I've tried and consider them better than the typical sausage formulas I see posted. I am impressed with their brat and cracked pepper sausage mixes. If you wanted andouille, cajun fresh was the wrong mix. There is a mix for that, #163. This is somewhat important because fresh sausage is not cured or smoked but cooked. If you did not add cure to your batch and did not get your sausage up to 140F in 4 hours (doubt it) you have a concern. I am not really an alarmist but this spooks me even though it looks great.

I like the Leggs mixes I've tried and consider them better than the typical sausage formulas I see posted. I am impressed with their brat and cracked pepper sausage mixes. If you wanted andouille, cajun fresh was the wrong mix. There is a mix for that, #163. This is somewhat important because fresh sausage is not cured or smoked but cooked. If you did not add cure to your batch and did not get your sausage up to 140F in 4 hours (doubt it) you have a concern. I am not really an alarmist but this spooks me even though it looks great.
I figured the main difference between the fresh cajun sausage and andouille mix would be just what you mention (cure) not the flavor profile. (They did not have andouille at the store I was at.) I did use a cure (Bolner's pink salt) and followed all safe handling procedures.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
My recommendation is to make your own seasoning. This is a very good one and representative of what you will find in the Suprettes (small cajun grocer/meat markets) in south Louisiana. You can leave the green onion or take it out-your call...

I failed to mention in my added ingredients that I did add green onions, well kind of, I added a heaping tablespoon of dried green chives. I think having lived in Lake Charles (Sulphur, LA) has spoiled me on two things... good andouille and boudin. Thanks for sharing this link.. I will watch over it and probably try making my own spice blend next time. I should have done that this time but for convenience sake and potential cost, I chose to use a mix.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky