Anyone use a good no sodium brine/marinade/injection?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasmoke1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Been doing a lot of simple chicken breasts on the smoker lately. Have to keep my diet in check and also limit sodium.

By definition, you can’t really brine without salt. So I guess brining is out.

Anybody have a good marinade with little to no sodium?

Or an injection? Broth and spices?

These will go on the smoker, not grilled.

I use a homemade jerk rub that has a bit of added salts and no sugars.
The recipe base comes from Chef JimmyJ (RIP) in this thread
I substitute a couple tablespoons of coconut aminos for the 1/4 cup soy sauce (540 mg sodium versus 3,680 mg). I leave out the molasses. My last batch had 8 ripe Scotch Bonnet peppers. A batch is enough to do up to 3 dozen (split) breasts or thighs, preferably skin on.

If you're on a low sodium diet make sure to drop the sugars, too.

Reactions: zwiller
Have not tried it yet but always wanted to try potassium chloride (KCl) in place of salt. It is commonly known as NuSalt or Morton's Salt Substitute. Not only is it no sodium but contains K which is good for you with that condition. Na needs to bind with K to get out of your system.

I've been using the Potassium Chloride ( I like Morton's) for a while now in most things that call for salt.
It's fine for something like a marinade or bread recipe where all you're looking for is salty flavor. I've even been using it in conjunction with Kosher for sausage to get my 1% and have had decent results.
Most Soy Sauce makers have a "lower sodium" option.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky