Anyone smoke meat befor e putting it in chilli?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sure do! It's fantastic! I usually will set my smoker to run around 180° and let it smoke for an hour or so, then into the pot. Depending on your spices you use, you can smoke those or if using fresh peppers smoke those too.

That's a good idea! I've used leftover brisket and such in my chili, but never thought to smoke the meat first expressly for chili. I'll have to try that next time.

I actually like to cut it up into the chunks I want then into the smoker. More surface area to gain smoke.

I have done a super cold smoke during the winter using the following method. You need to be able to keep the ambient temp in the smoker above freezing, but lower than 40°f. I have done up to 4 hours of smoke using this method. I have also used this method for tuna that I want smokey and am only going to sear leaving the middle raw.

I like to cut mine up. You could also slice the roast into slabs that are about as thick as you want ans smoke those. It's important to get as much surface area for the smoke to cling to.

Smoked brisket chili is awesome!

If you really want some extra flavor put the chili in a big foil turkey pan, and cook it in the smoker!

I agree with all of the above, but I also slice my tomatoes in half and warm smoke them for a couple of hours before I put them in the pot.

Yep, some of my best chili has been mostly done in the smoker. I'll soak my beans overnight, toss them in the next morning. I'll do my peppers and meats as well, pick up a pound or two of alligator meat, you'll LOVE it in your chili after smoking in it's juices for a few hours! I've not tried tossing the whole pot of chili in the smoker, I usually make my chili in a 20 qt stock pan :)

Yep , many here do it , as you see.  I have , but current Wife likes it of fresh Burger.
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
 , but it great.

Brisket point, smoked, then cubed, is outstanding in chili.  That fat renders out of the cubes and makes one good bowl of Texas red....I'll mix in a little chopped as well just to give the chili different textures...man, I want some now! 

Reactions: crankybuzzard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky