Anyone made scrapple?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
Now, I am pretty picky and we love Rapa Scrapple. He have scrapple and waffle for diner sometimes. We have Hog pon and Country pudding they sell in the stores around here and its it not even close in comparison.

Anyone make a clone or copy of this?
original_scrap_rev_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
Nope..curious to try it now though! I've heard of this before...

If some one finds a recipe for it that doesn't use offal <Hard to find here and trying to convince the family to eat it..not happening> I'll give it a whirl :)

I recently tried scrapple and just couldn’t get over the texture. Some kind of gelatinous cartilage thing. Now I buy pan pudding from a local Amish place and that’s delicious!! Tastes like tiny pieces of roast beef and drippings.

Here is the recipe my dad followed for many years. Served by frying slices in a pan was a staple for weekend breakfasts during the winter months. Pork butt rules and this is good eats.

Enjoy,
Matt

Scrapple

1 serving is 2 slices

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder steak
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper
6 cups water, approx.
2 cups corn meal, yellow
1 tsp powdered sage, or more to taste
- - -
4 tbs butter, 1-tbs per 2 servings

Directions:

1. You will need about 1 1/2 lbs. of cooked, deboned and chopped pork meat. Purchase pork blades with pork ribs, or pork steak with additional pork neck bones for added flavor.

2. Cover with water and add a medium cooking onion. Skim as it comes to boil, then add salt and pepper. Cook 60 to 90 minutes, meat should be very tender.

3. Cool in liquid; then remove the meat, de-bone and chop.

4. Poor 2-3 cups of the cooled liquid into a bowl, add 2 cups yellow cornmeal & mix to a paste using a fork.

5. In a non-stick large saucepan, add the remaining cooled liquid and enough water so the total amount is 5 cups. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Heat and add cornmeal paste while stirring. Continue heating to a boil then cook 20-30 minutes. Add powdered sage to taste. Check for seasonings after a few minutes.

6. Add and blend in the chopped meat. When mixture is uniform, pour into a loaf pan. Smooth top with a spatula. Cool and refrigerate. Cut into thirds, wrap in plastic wrap. Insert into a heavier baggie and freeze.

7. To serve, place four slices approximately 1/4” each in skillet and fry with 1 tbs of butter. 2 Slices per serving.

Now, I am pretty picky and we love Rapa Scrapple. He have scrapple and waffle for diner sometimes. We have Hog pon and Country pudding they sell in the stores around here and its it not even close in comparison.

Anyone make a clone or copy of this?

Hi Rob,
I've helped with a bunch of guys making hundreds of pounds from our deer parts, but I never made my own Scrapple.

Our favorite Store bought Scrapple is "Hatfield's---Even better than all the local Butcher Shops make.

Have you ever been to this big Shindig???
http://www.applescrapple.com

Bear

As a Delaware native, nothing beats scrapple, egg and cheese on a soft kaiser roll!! RAPA by far is the best IMO

We make panhas. slice thin, fry until crispy, add some butter, salt and pepper. So good.

Glad someone gave a recipe. We make a kettle full (15 gal) every year when butchering. I’d have to do some number crunching to make small batch. Also look up baking in oven to fry your scrapple. https://www.google.com/search?clien......0.0..0.0.0.......0...........1.63dHSug3Uc4Can make a big batch at one time that way. There is so many different recipes to make it an then to fry it up you may have to look around to find one to your liking. Good luck!!

the main difference I've noticed between scrapple and panhas is scrapple uses corn meal, panhas uses buckwheat flower...

both use "scrap meat", but a vastly different combination of spices.

Our panhas is spiced with mainly mace, sage and black pepper. Salt to taste when cooked.

the main difference I've noticed between scrapple and panhas is scrapple uses corn meal, panhas uses buckwheat flower...

both use "scrap meat", but a vastly different combination of spices.

Our panhas is spiced with mainly mace, sage and black pepper. Salt to taste when cooked.

Our scrapple we make uses cornmeal and buckwheat flour.

Our scrapple is made with corn meal & wheat flour. Plus we don’t put any of the meat in it. Just use it to make the stock. I was always told that is the difference. Srapple no meat ponhaus meat. Like said before a huge variety of recipes. Even on how to cook it to be eaten

Yup I'm with you c farmer our family recipe uses both corn meal and buck wheat flour. Each area has their own recipe and how its made.

Here's a suggestion for you if you freeze a hold block of scrapple when thawed it falls apart. Slice it the thickness you like then freeze it on a cookie sheet then bag after frozen. Place frozen in the fry pan and it will retain its shape and not crumble all up.

ArcheryRob if that's all the scrapple you can find in your area then you need to come to the shore. Even thou that scrapple is made in Bridge De. it is by far is not the best made in the area.

Warren

For any of you who live in the area, I've had Scrapple from about every store around here, and at least a half dozen small butcher shops in my PA Dutch/Amish area, and some home made Scrapple from local hunting groups, and by far the best I've ever had was from Hatfield Meats.
See the Link below:
landing

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky