anyone know what "sweet polish " is ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i was asked today to make "sweet polish " sausage for a fella and about all i know is he can't handle anything hot and spicy , i have never heard the term "sweet polish " before so i told him i would make some for him with 0 heat and he said that would work , but i would like to make what he asked for if i can

I think different manufacturers and home sausage makers make so many varieties of Polish sausage that what one person calls "sweet" might be a little different to another recipe for sweet polish. Just look at the different recipes for sweet Italian.

From my recollection of various sausage recipe books, sugar or corn syrup are used in pretty small amounts (1 to 2 grams per kilogram of meat), mainly to offset the saltiness. So maybe you could double that amount? Or use brown sugar since it has a distinct flavor? Or maybe use sweet paprika?

thanks , i have never used sugar in sausage before but he is a nice fella and i'm willing to give it a try

słodka kiełbasa
That's a dessert. It's chocolate, butter and cookie crumbles rolled into a log. It look like a sausage.

I had to look this up, but there is an American dish (presumably), that's called "sweet polish sausage." Looks to be something like a goulash made with sausage and worcestershire sauce. It's the prep, not the sausage itself that's makes it "sweet".

FWIW, Polish food is not known for being hot and spicy.
Black pepper is used a lot.
Horse radish is a frequent condiment.
But those are very different than Indian and Mexican food type of spicy.

Good luck. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with!

Reactions: chopsaw
I know in reference to Italian sausage, sweet refers to a sausage without the addition of hot peppers, but instead the addition of sweet peppers like mild Calabrian pepperoncino. Not sure about Polish, but maybe sweet paprika???

after reading the your replies what i am thinking is maybe adding brown sugar AND smoked paparicka with 0 spice for heat ....this may be the 1st time i ever made a sausage i didn't like haha
anyone know about how much in oz per pound instead of grams and kilograms ?

most of the people i make "polish sausage " for ask me to make it hot as a firecracker
so this will be waaaaay differant than anything i have made before

But it is SO much easier just to use the meteric system when making sausages. everything is in percentages and scalable no matter how large a batch you make, the seasoning and salt will be perfectly spot on.

thanks , any suggestions as to how much sugar /paparicka per unit of meat
i still have a little time before i get to the polish , i want to get all the smoked sausage done before i start on the polish

The sweet sausage that I learned to make years ago (40 years) by some old time butchers is just salt, black pepper and fennel seed. Still make it that way today.
can that still be called a "polish sausage "?

i use " Leggs polish seasoning " when i make polish sausage so what i am thinking is to just add the brown sugar and smoked paparicka to it .ya think would be acceptable ?

It is my understanding that a "sweet" sausage does not necessarily mean the addition of sugar, it refers to not being a hot sausage with hot peppers. Unless it is a sausage from a region known to add sugars to their sausages like in Asia, Hawaii, or the Caribbean.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
...The reason why sugars were not traditionally added to sausages is because for thousands of years before refrigeration most sausages were dried and if too much sugar is added then strong fermentation will occur and you will get a sour, tangy sausage. Dried sausages from that region around Poland and Hungary do not use any sugars for this reason. Some of the D.O.P. regulations expressly forbid the addition of sugars in dried sausages. This is why I say not to add sugar to your sausage if you are going for a sweet polish sausage.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky