Anyone know what I did wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
I used the minion method with my WSM 18 today. I used half old charcoal and half new---filled 3/4s to top of ring-Couldn't believe I didn't get 4 hours smoke in. I am trying to blame the small old charcoal??????????????? Oh well-living and learning. Also, I used water pan today---1/2 full with WARM water. I am wondering since my water I added was not boiling water that the vents were open more early on for more heat needed because of the water?????? OK--third clue....I did something I have not done before. The little empty spot in the middle of the charcoal where you dump your starter hot coals? I had a big hunk of mesquite right there to pour the hot coals on.
OK-adding later------- after cool down--lot of very small charcoal briquettes left. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

I shouldn't have posted this--I complain about everything. You know what? I will figure this out. I'm just low on the learning curve
Charlie

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Not sure what the failure was but I can testify that reburning briquettes is a different fire than all new ones, so?

I used the minion method with my WSM 18 today. I used half old charcoal and half new---filled 3/4s to top of ring-Couldn't believe I didn't get 4 hours smoke in. I am trying to blame the small old charcoal??????????????? Oh well-living and learning. Also, I used water pan today---1/2 full with WARM water. I am wondering since my water I added was not boiling water that the vents were open more early on for more heat needed because of the water?????? OK--third clue....I did something I have not done before. The little empty spot in the middle of the charcoal where you dump your starter hot coals? I had a big hunk of mesquite right there to pour the hot coals on.
OK-adding later------- after cool down--lot of very small charcoal briquettes left. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

I shouldn't have posted this--I complain about everything. You know what? I will figure this out. I'm just low on the learning curve
Charlie
I pretty much do like you do except no water. Use a clay saucer and get a 8 - 10 burn. Just one of those things.

Reactions: Millberry
I bought one of those BBQ Guru and used on the last 2 smokes. That thing is rock solid on Temps. Quick return to temp after taking lid off. Really like it. If I had known about that before probably wood of never got a pellet pooper. Won't change charcoal usage much but makes running them hands free.

Reactions: Millberry
You are fine to post this! It’s how we all learn, our own experiences and others! Can’t tell ya how many smokes I’ve messed up!

Give yourself a break! Relax, get a beer or your preferred beverage!

The WSM is an awesome smoker.... Leave the top vent open and regulate the temp by adjusting the lower vents!

You are fine to post this! It’s how we all learn, our own experiences and others! Can’t tell ya how many smokes I’ve messed up!

Give yourself a break! Relax, get a beer or your preferred beverage!

The WSM is an awesome smoker.... Leave the top vent open and regulate the temp by adjusting the lower vents!
Thanks so much

I bought one of those BBQ Guru and used on the last 2 smokes. That thing is rock solid on Temps. Quick return to temp after taking lid off. Really like it. If I had known about that before probably wood of never got a pellet pooper. Won't change charcoal usage much but makes running them hands free.
Thanks--I GOT to mess up a few I hear-----Will learn---

It takes a HUGE amount of energy to heat water. Water will absorb heat energy in the smoker, heat energy that could be used to cook the meat. Meat takes about a third less of available heat energy to raise the temp of the mass 1 degree.

Water continues to absorb heat energy as it changes state to steam, heat energy that could be cooking the meat. Due to the physical properties of water (max temp 212F), if you are trying to maintain a 225F smoker, you are running a much hotter fire and burning more fuel than you would with a dry smoker.

Take the water out of the smoker and you'll solve your issue.

That said, used charcoal will not burn as long as new charcoal. I too burn used charcoal in my WSM. But a full ring of new charcoal will burn longer than a full ring of a 50/50 mix of used and new charcoal.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
_____________Bless you my child! So it was a litle of everything I thought could "maybe" be wrong. Now I feel I moved another notch up the learning curve (the hard way of course
you are running a much hotter fire and burning more fuel than you would with a dry smoker.

Last edited:
what was your wind like? Windy days = faster burning fire as well.

what was the outside air temp? Warmer ambient air temps = hotter burning fires which burn quicker than on colder days.

Warm air is not as dense as cold air and offers less resistance.

It takes a HUGE amount of energy to heat water. Water will absorb heat energy in the smoker, heat energy that could be used to cook the meat. Meat takes about a third less of available heat energy to raise the temp of the mass 1 degree.

Water continues to absorb heat energy as it changes state to steam, heat energy that could be cooking the meat. Due to the physical properties of water (max temp 212F), if you are trying to maintain a 225F smoker, you are running a much hotter fire and burning more fuel than you would with a dry smoker.

Take the water out of the smoker and you'll solve your issue.

That said, used charcoal will not burn as long as new charcoal. I too burn used charcoal in my WSM. But a full ring of new charcoal will burn longer than a full ring of a 50/50 mix of used and new charcoal.

hit the nail on the head right here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky