Anyone ever use Garlic cloves instead of or with wood for smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

handymanstan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Lansing Michigan
I read on a food site where a guy puts cloves of fresh garlic in his charcoal for smoke.  Says it imparts a smoked garlic flavor on meat.

Anyone ever try this?   I love garlic so I want to try doing this on some ribs with apple or cherry wood.

Stan

use dried garlic flakes if you are going to try it.

I use many kinds of dry herbs and spices in my wood blend depending on what I'm smoking. Never tried garlic though.

Thank you all for your responses. I don't want a burnt taste so I guess I will just put the garlic on the meat instead of in the charcoal.  It sounded interesting though.

Stan

Try it out and see what happens. Just a piece or two of cheap chicken so you're not out a bunch of money if it doesn't work out. I know onions are added to the coals to generate more aroma by some restaurants. I've tried it a couple times and can't definitively say whether or not it altered the flavor a whole lot, but the aroma was INCREDIBLE.

Try it out and see what happens. Just a piece or two of cheap chicken so you're not out a bunch of money if it doesn't work out. I know onions are added to the coals to generate more aroma by some restaurants. I've tried it a couple times and can't definitively say whether or not it altered the flavor a whole lot, but the aroma was INCREDIBLE.
Thanks for the answer.  You are right what do I have to loose trying on a couple of chicken thighs. If its bad the dogs wont care and if its good then something new to do. When you tried did you use fresh or dried?  On the site I saw it he was using a fresh head and tossing a few cloves in every 1/2 hour or so.

Stan

I've seen people on TV use dried herbs particularly Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Lavender to add flavor to  cold smokes.  If you use garlic I would use the dried leaves not the corns or bulbs.  I bet fish cold smoked with Rosemary or Lavender would have a tremendous taste, probably very subtle

I've seen people on TV use dried herbs particularly Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Lavender to add flavor to  cold smokes.  If you use garlic I would use the dried leaves not the corns or bulbs.  I bet fish cold smoked with Rosemary or Lavender would have a tremendous taste, probably very subtle
Thanks Al,  So many things to try.  I will be sampling some cheese I did with herbs for the first time this weekend.

Stan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky