Anyone ever try pop-up thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matts

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Central Illinois
Was looking at digital therms online and ran across those popup deals like you see in a lot of frozen turkeys.  You can get them in a variety of temps.  Just curious if anyone has messed with them for smoking.  I am sure they aren't as accurate as a real therm, but it might be handy to have around in case of problems with regular therms like a sudden rain storm shorts out your others.  You know, stuff like that.  Which happened to me last weekend.

382725e8_156306.jpg

if there was a way to know if they were accurate without using them, they would be a great backup if the batteries in your regular them unit went dead on you.

They are pretty cheap.  The place I found them had them in packages of 25 for $9.  I would be willing to waste one for testing for that price.

cool.gif

I have never bought one of those pop up thingys. But I have bought a few turkeys with them already in them and when I smoked them till done the pop up didn't pop up and the turkey was really good and well smoked too. But no pop up popping up.

So save your 9 bucks and buy you a turkey.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky