WSM and Rib placement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Columbia Maryland
Hey Smokers!

I'm planning on doing a few racks on my 22.5 WSM this coming weekend, and I have a question.
I wanted to get 6 racks in on my smoker, and I don't have a rib rack or a hanger set up. Will I be okay laying 3 racks on both levels? Is the difference in height a huge factor in smoking these? I will probably jockey the racks between the 2 levels to get them the same level of heat treatment. But I was curious if any one here has done 6 racks this way before. So if this is doable or not any help will be appreciated. I have done ribs in another smoker like this , just not on the WSM.
I am also going to wrap in butchers paper after 2-3 hours.
Also will be using the water bowl (empty and foiled) as a heat barrier / grease catcher.
So if anyone here has done this please let me know what results you had. Trying to avoid have to purchase any new attachments right now.

Thank you all.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have never done 6 racks on a WSM, but I don’t see why it would be a problem, as long as you take into consideration the temp difference between the racks. My bottom rack always ran about 20 degrees cooler than the top, so I would guess that you would want to switch racks a couple of times during the smoke. Good luck & take some photo’s!
Al

I have never done 6 racks on a WSM, but I don’t see why it would be a problem, as long as you take into consideration the temp difference between the racks. My bottom rack always ran about 20 degrees cooler than the top, so I would guess that you would want to switch racks a couple of times during the smoke. Good luck & take some photo’s!
Al
Al,
You are the best. I never would have suspected the lower grill would be cooler. I use one probe for the chamber temp, by way of the rubber gasket. I plan on taking pictures just for information purposes if nothing else.

Thanks buddy

I would have never thought of the lower rack being cooler either. Thats whats so great about this forum. Always something to learn here!!
And yes.....Pics are a requirement.

Jim

Reactions: SmokinAl
Al,
You are the best. I never would have suspected the lower grill would be cooler. I use one probe for the chamber temp, by way of the rubber gasket. I plan on taking pictures just for information purposes if nothing else.

Thanks buddy

I would have never thought of the lower rack being cooler either. Thats whats so great about this forum. Always something to learn here!!
And yes.....Pics are a requirement.

Jim

I should also say that I always put water in my water pan, so that may have contributed to the temp difference. I had a therm at each grate level to for several cooks until I determined that the bottom grill is going to run about 20 degrees cooler. After that I just went by one or the other. Although usually in our house I only used one grate most of the time..
Al

For future reference, the BBQ Guru company has a slick rack called a Rib Ring, which holds ribs in a circular position, and it has a drip pan. It's on their website and they have an Amazon page as well.

Here is a photo of rolled ribs on a 18" Big Green Egg so I would suspect you could fit 6 or 8 racks on your WSM.
TbxQspc.jpg

Thirdeye,

Thanks, but I am trying to avoid any further purchases. I had a rib carrier once and the results were mixed. I'm thinking the rib ring might give me the same results. I still appreciate the input.

Reactions: thirdeye
Hello again,
Reporting back I can assure everyone that you can indeed put 6 St. Louis style ribs on a WSM 22. Apologies for the delay, but I was terminated from my job last Tuesday so things are crazy.
I have pictures attached of the wrapped, unwrapped and cut. I was also surprised that each pack of ribs consists of 3 racks.
On this particular smoke I went with Cherry. Cherry wood chunks on the Kingsford, full ring. Water in bowl, maintained 235-245 for 6 hours. Spritzed with cherry coke and glazed with cherry preserves, a little coke and some honey and a squirt of gochuchang.
First time wrapping with peach paper, I like the results, bark wasn't deep but it was bite through. Before wrapping I put down 4 pats of butter,brown sugar, honey and Tiger sauce (thanks Johnny Trigg) for each rack.
Cooked bone down for 2.5 hours at 246, wrapped for one hour. Glazed and finished for 30-40 minutes.
I was very pleased overall, only one small end got burned due to the tight fit. Good news is I have 3 racks left over for dinner tonight.
So since you asked:

Attachments

• 20230611_152212.jpg
    20230611_152212.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230611_154315.jpg
    20230611_154315.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230611_154819.jpg
    20230611_154819.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230611_161735.jpg
    20230611_161735.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230611_162339.jpg
    20230611_162339.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 27
Your ribs look really good. I retired my WSM a couple of years ago when I got the 26" kettle. We have a family get together coming up and I may have to bring it out of retirement for the occasion.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: bakerman
I'm still using my 2002 model 18" WSM for direct heat cooks. I take out the water bowl and the lower grate. Use a full chimney of coals with 1/2 chimney unlit dumped on top. It'll run about 350*.

Great for chicken. Its the best yardbird cooker I've got. I also do direct heat pork steak.

Reactions: bakerman
I've done 6 racks on my 18" WSM, using the BRITU recipe and the rib-rolling technique described there: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-mike-scrutchfield/. This baby back recipe doesn't require wrapping, and the saucing is done when the ribs come off the smoker, so the ribs don't need to be flat during the cook.
I get that, I just didn't want to spend on any more gadgets just yet. I had one of those rib standing racks a few years back and didn't like the result. No this was mainly an exercise to see if I could get 3 racks flat on both levels. The answer is yes, and the results were pretty tasty.

Reactions: normanaj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky