Anyone ever cook the ribs ONLY, cut off large rib roasts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Vulcan Warrior

Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Traeger or propane grill, temp, time? Looking for med rare. I have 5 racks of them, vac sealed. Should make tasty snacks for game time gnawing the good meat off of them. :)

Reactions: JLeonard
Those are basically beef back ribs and they take about 5 hours usually at 225°F (107°C) - 240°F (116°C).

I have never cooked these to medium rare as the meat between those bones can be a little tough.. I prefer to cook them to about 195°F (91°C) and let them get super tender and juicy.

If you do want to do medium rare, you're probably looking at just a couple of hours to reach a good medium rare or around 130°F (54°C).

There's not a lot of meat but what is there is amazingly good.

Prep night before, mustard, favorite rub (Tony's, Jeff's rub,etc). Set smoker @ 250, smoke 2 hours,on the rack. Wrap toghtly in foil, cook 2 hours, unwrap place back on rack, cook one hour mop occassionally. good luck and enjoy.
Thank you!! I didn't know where to start with just the bones. Was too much meat on them to throw out. This Marine (4th MAW) says thank you for your service, too.

Reactions: JLeonard
Those are basically beef back ribs and they take about 5 hours usually at 225°F (107°C) - 240°F (116°C).

I have never cooked these to medium rare as the meat between those bones can be a little tough.. I prefer to cook them to about 195°F (91°C) and let them get super tender and juicy.

If you do want to do medium rare, you're probably looking at just a couple of hours to reach a good medium rare or around 130°F (54°C).

There's not a lot of meat but what is there is amazingly good.
Hi Jeff and thank you!! I'm telling people all the time to check out your site and buy your rubs. GOOOOD stuff! I think you are right they might be awfully chewy if not cooked enough. After all that is intercostal muscle that does some work, so tougher. Thanks again, Jeff. :)

Reactions: TulsaJeff
Yep take them to probe tender. Beef backs are my favorite beef rib. Full of flavor
024.jpg

Here is one link from SmokinAl SmokinAl he did a few months back.

Robert

And another one from Sven Svensson Sven Svensson Both of these were cut from a full 103 sub primal rib section.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky