anybody happy with their homeowners ins?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcp9

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Foley, AL
i have farmers insurance for about a year now. just found out yesterday that they hiked my rate 66% and i havent had any claims. anybody happy with their homeowners ins?

State Farm has always been good to me. We have our truck, and our house with them, and never an issue. Like with most inurance companies we get a discount for having multiple policies with them, as well as a discount for our alarm system.

With a 66% rate hike, I think you ought to give them a call to see what's going on.

It's fairly typical to see some increases (the amount of insurance they're providing you typically increases each year), but a 66% increase is pretty steep.

he said. You deserve an explanation. Good luck my friend.

Benn with State Farm forever. have cars, house, umbrella policy with them.

There are some a little cheaper, but they have always been helpful and processed claims in a fair and timely fashion

Ive had Allstate for years.... Had lightning damage 9 days ago and received a check today....Pretty good hands i would say
biggrin.gif

Yep, Allstate has been pretty good for us too. Had them for decades, going back through Dad's agent.

I've thought about switching the car portion of the insurance, but didn't want that little stack of bills with the bug eyes following me around watching me. That guy is creepy.

Except they are no longer writing home owners insurance in Florida. They put there hands in their pocket and walked away.

If you are over 50 and can join AARP, the Hartford provides some good policies.

if you are retired military or affiliated any way I would check in to USAA. They are awesome. I have never had a problem with them.

We dumped Farmers years ago and haven't looked back. Bad agent, bad service with attitude. I took my money else where.

I'm another with State Farm, awesome company. Best prices, helpful and friendly. The agent I deal with even called their underwriter to get them to forgive an accident I had in another state. Said they didn't feel it was my fault and it got me the safe driver rates, saved me $600 a year. Got all my homeowners and a couple autos with them.

>>>You deserve an explanation.<<<

exactly - i work for an independent insurance agency in north-central montana and my sister used to be a farmer's agent. i agree 100% that you deserve an explanation. this kind of thing does happen and there could be many reasons for it, but you should be provided some answers and also a chance to ask them to re-write you with a lower-cost carrier. if they don't do this, then consider cancelling and going with another agency that is independent in order to give you more flexibility and choices.

i work the claims end of it, and from a claims handling perspective some of the best out there are EMC, safeco, foremost and fireman's fund. if i remember correctly, foremost does work with farmers and might be an option for you. other good choices are travelers, allstate and progressive. from my experience in claims, these companies work well, but i am sure that there are many more.

back to the original issue, your agent should certainly be able to provide some answers and options for you - if not, then he or she is not YOUR agent, if you know what i mean.

We have state farm here in north east Fla their pretty good but we are waiting to see if they are leaving fla or not. we're in limbo limbo.

We have had Hartford through AARP for 12 years. Home, cars, and my brother is a State Farm agent, we dumped him. Saved a ton and the one claim we had we actually got the work done and had money left over, it was a roof leak.

I think the age for AARP is 50 but not sure. Membership is cheap. CS is great also.

ron - thanks for mentioning the hartford - i've worked iwth them on a couple of claims as well and have gotten first class, extra-mile service with them as well.

An agent can make or break an experience with a particular company. Growing up we had the same State Farm agent from the time I was 8 years old. I moved away from home - tried to stay and had just a horrible experience.

Speaking of The Hartford - great company!

Down here in Louisiana all the homeowners cos. now have a hurricane deductable of 2% to 5% of your propertys value on hurricane claims.
when gustav hit here there was alot of damage . Farmers ins. was the only co. that didn't have this deductable. they took a big hit.
Guess now they're trying to recoup the big loss.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky