Any Tips for a Mammoth Sized Pork Loin-Bone In

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gaz0001

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Any tips for this full Pork Loin with Bone?

Planned to smoke it with some hickory until its around 150f internal temperature in the centre.
It's the first time doing such a large piece, but i expect it will take around 3 hours - will try to keep the cooking temp at 250f, but it usually runs a little hot, 225f to 300f in the offset.

For the dry brine - 24 hour with salt, pepper, garlic and a little paprika.
Spritz with Apple Cider vinegar.

What do you guys think?

20210720_181211.jpg

If you don't have a bunch of people to feed. Consider cutting into 2 or 3 Roasts or some nice Chops and a Roast. Either way, I would cook the meat to an IT of 135/140°F tops...JJ

Reactions: gaz0001 and TNJAKE
I'm all in for a dry brine, immersion brine or injectable apple juice brine, and maybe some kind of mop. Even Wish-Bone Italian gives some great flavor.

JJ has a good point about cutting it down. 2-bone chops are really good and present well. PS what are your plans with the Skilsaw?

PS what are your plans with the Skilsa

I would hope the Butcher removed the Chine Bones of the spine but, thats not always the case. Ive cut them with a Bone Saw but a Sawzall with Bone Blades, makes quick work of cutting the bones out...JJ

Reactions: gaz0001
i leave the chine in and when i grill the chops i stand them up on the bone to start and about 2 inches apart with a skinny bamboo skewer thru the top to keep them standing. when the sides start to get brown i lay them down. i have old genisus is 3 burner front to back center burner low outsides med high. they are nice chops that you never see in store since baby back are popular. in the '60's this was center cut chops not like the t-bone ones ya get now. oh nice tender lion and first end is a roast. and the cro vac has both sides cut down the center of spine i do one at a time

Last edited:
Reactions: gaz0001 and DanMcG
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the messages and the help. You guys always add value and insight to my cooks.
As some of you may know from my previous posts, i'm about 10 smokes in with some epic fails, and more recently some really exceptional BBQ.
I'm still on the basics though in terms of knowledge and equipment.

If you don't have a bunch of people to feed. Consider cutting into 2 or 3 Roasts or some nice Chops and a Roast. Either way, I would cook the meat to an IT of 135/140°F tops...JJ

Thanks for that, i'll aim a little lower then. I like my port a little rosy and juicy. I guess at 135f in the centre, the edges would be more 150/160f.

What do you think in terms of time for this mammoth? To get to 135f at an average of 250f cook temp - 2.5 to 3.0 hours?

I'm all in for a dry brine, immersion brine or injectable apple juice brine, and maybe some kind of mop. Even Wish-Bone Italian gives some great flavor.

JJ has a good point about cutting it down. 2-bone chops are really good and present well. PS what are your plans with the Skilsaw?

Funny story, we're fully locked down here - 4 days indoor, no delivery's, no nothing. Basically, i didn't really prepare for this, but since i'm fully locked down and on holiday, i'm gonna go for it.
I did have an idea to wet brine it in apple juice, salt, pepper and brown sugar. But i don't have those bits.
I'll have to dry brine it - salt and pepper. Then maybe before the cook, i'll make a garlic olive oil, give the fella a good baste and add another good sprinkle of pepper and maybe a bit of paprika for colour.

:-) The Skilsaw --- Circular Saw as i call it. I'm quite ill equipped, this is all i had to cut it. I cut the piece into 2/3 and a 1/3 piece

I'll use the 2/3 for the cook, which i hope to feed 4 people, with leftovers for lunch.
Running the Hyper Cheap offset is such a challenge, I want to be eating at least 2 meals from it.

FYI - The Skilsaw with the wood blade on it, went through the meat perfectly. Only issue was cleaning the saw afterwards. It was a massacre.

Last edited:
I would hope the Butcher removed the Chine Bones of the spine but, thats not always the case. Ive cut them with a Bone Saw but a Sawzall with Bone Blades, makes quick work of cutting the bones out...JJ

This is a problem for me.

Chine Bone's are in. I don't know what to do with this.
I have the Skilsaw, and a below average 6" Fillet and a chef knife.......that's the lot.

What should i do about the Chine Bone?

i leave the chine in and when i grill the chops i stand them up on the bone to start and about 2 inches apart with a skinny bamboo skewer thru the top to keep them standing. when the sides start to get brown i lay them down. i have old genisus is 3 burner front to back center burner low outsides med high. they are nice chops that you never see in store since baby back are popular. in the '60's this was center cut chops not like the t-bone ones ya get now. oh nice tender lion and first end is a roast. and the cro vac has both sides cut down the center of spine i do one at a time

So, your saying i can leave this chine in?
How will i separate into serving size chops afterwards?
Is the chine bone not one giant horizontal bone running right though that a standard fillet knife cant not go through?

if you watch the video cut just like they do, it works good. i get to a little hard spot and use my cleaver n i tap it with my dead blow n thru.. cooked you could probably cut thru it. ya only have to watch 3 to 4 minutes

In other news, I'm approved to go for a better quality smoker when I finally kill this $100 one :-)

The smoker has been a huge hit in the last 3-4 cooks we've done.

if you watch the video cut just like they do, it works good. i get to a little hard spot and use my cleaver n i tap it with my dead blow n thru.. cooked you could probably cut thru it.

Yeah, I'm just going through the vid now.
Thanks for that.

I also own a hammer too. Sure a hammer and a blunt chefs knife can do the job half arsed enough.

The Chine Bones are the bones of half of the Spinal Column...

6_boning_loin.JPG.jpg

If you work at it, you can get down to where the Rib Bones meet the Spinal Column and cut through the pieces of cartilage to remove the chine bones. It is slow going and a sharp boning knife is needed. Your best option, IMO? Run the Boning Knife along the Feather bones, down to the Chine,around and down to the Ribs then over the Ribs, the knife should always be in contact with the bones, and cut all the bones out. You will have a Boneless Loin that will be easy to portion anyway you wish...JJ

Here is more details with pics...

Link verified Safe.

jimmy that is not cut proper for what i have in my pics or what O.P showed in his pic... on your pic those are rib bones cut sticking up. in this pic the chine is
20210709_172327 (1).jpg
on top and can be cut off with sawz all easily, or meat saw like days of old.. but this is what i was taught by gramps.. if ya justwatch that video, you will se how to get chops , or a loin and baby back ribs... thats chunk a meat is the tenderlion from inside of backbone rear of ribs

Last edited:
Chines Off.
Not too bad of a job.

How much time should I allow for the cook?
After checking the Web, at 250f I've seen figures varying from 3h to 9 hours :-)

Will cook it medium rare, pull at 135f to 140f as previously suggested.

IMG-20210721-WA0007.jpg

rc4u rc4u It's hard to tell what the OP has as the bones are down and/or on the back side. Sorry to have to disagree my friend with your saying my example shows Ribs. The combined knowledge of 4 generations of a Butchering Family and Culinary School has taught me different. Boxed Pork, Whole Bone-in Loins, to Grocery Stores almost always have the Feather Bones removed , leaving the Chine and Rib Bones. This makes seeing loins with Feather Bones uncommon outside of Whole Pig Butcher operations. Another good example of Feather Bone, Chine and Ribs, removed as I described...JJ

Feather Bones on top, Ribs below the Chine Bones, aka Spinal Column...

7_boned_loin.JPG.jpg

Side View. Feather Bones Left of Chine. Rib Bone sawed off on Right...

1584917127_5e77ea87dd345.jpg

Reactions: rc4u
Pretty good Video. But this guy had his Buthcher saw of the Chine, so all he does is remove the Feather Bones and Baby Back Ribs from this front third of a whole loin...JJ

thanks jimmyj for lesson. i learn most days. your explanation and pictures makes sense.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky