Any thoughts on this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Should work, but I’ll just add that the exhaust should go up hill even if slightly. The opening at the end of the exhaust pipe should be slightly higher, or more than the outlet point on the cooker. Heat rises so should chimneys.

as far as cook time, what temp you running? That’s the biggest factor on time.
if there isn't some rise to the pipe you will get no draw to pull the smoke away from the chamber. You may need to adjust the rise to get sufficient flow.through the smoker. It looks like the smoker originally had wide open draw,.

If it were me, i'd stick the smoker closer to the garage door and have a much shorter horizontal pipe. Otherwise you are changing the physics of the chamber dramatically.
So I'm going to smoke 2 turkeys tomorrow. Turkeys have been brining, sides are being pre-made, house is clean, beers are cold. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold and rainy/snowy here and I don't have anything to cover the smoker with. I thought if I kept the box in the garage with the small door cracked and a "chimney" of sort attached and vented outside, with a big fan to gently blow it away from the house/garage, then it would be ok to keep "inside". I'll also keep the big garage door cracked for more ventilation. Here's a pic of the setup. Does anyone see any issues with this?
View attachment 517178
The way it is setup in your pic will not work, you have to have some draw to pull the smoke through the chamber and provide fresh oxygen for the wood.

If it were me I would orient the smoker.so the corner with the exhaust was as.close as.possible to the door, have a very short horizontal pipe and maybe even angle it at 45° or more.

Looking at the smoker, the design was for lots of draw, and if there isn't sufficient you are changing the physics of the chamber. not enough draw will not provide a clean enough burn and you will have not the best smoke. If you have something to test it with, I would do a test run to see what the smoke look like.

I'm planning on 275, that's the highest this MES will go.
No , that's the highest it says it ill go . With 2 whole turkeys on a cool day , you may not get there .

As far as venting , the pressure at the exit point of the vent has to be less than the pressure inside the smoker . I would raise it up to the height of the door header . To long or to short can make it act as a plug , or a syphon .
Might take the hose off and see how the smoke is with just the elbow . Then go from there .
My experience is the fan placed close like in your picture can cause the smoke to actually go into the garage .
The fan will pull supply air from an area of the lowest pressure , which in this case will be outside ambient air .
I've had better luck doing this by placing a fan deeper inside the garage pointed in the direction you want the smoke to go .
In the end it's a crap shoot . So have a backup plan , and good luck .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I played around like that, about 10 years ago.
The best way it worked for me was the fan about 6' behind the MES, and the MES in the Garage door opening. Back door also open. The worst part was Me Freezing my Arse Off!!!

Bear

Reactions: pi guy and chopsaw
if there isn't some rise to the pipe you will get no draw to pull the smoke away from the chamber. You may need to adjust the rise to get sufficient flow.through the smoker. It looks like the smoker originally had wide open draw,.

If it were me, i'd stick the smoker closer to the garage door and have a much shorter horizontal pipe. Otherwise you are changing the physics of the chamber dramatically.

The way it is setup in your pic will not work, you have to have some draw to pull the smoke through the chamber and provide fresh oxygen for the wood.

If it were me I would orient the smoker.so the corner with the exhaust was as.close as.possible to the door, have a very short horizontal pipe and maybe even angle it at 45° or more.

Looking at the smoker, the design was for lots of draw, and if there isn't sufficient you are changing the physics of the chamber. not enough draw will not provide a clean enough burn and you will have not the best smoke. If you have something to test it with, I would do a test run to see what the smoke look like.
Thanks, good points indeed! I will start out with it at the garage door and try to get the pipe as straight/vertical as possible, with as little horizontal as possible. Maybe I take the contraption off and just vent it outside (yes, it is wide open in the configuration I have currently).

No , that's the highest it says it ill go . With 2 whole turkeys on a cool day , you may not get there .

As far as venting , the pressure at the exit point of the vent has to be less than the pressure inside the smoker . I would raise it up to the height of the door header . To long or to short can make it act as a plug , or a syphon .
Might take the hose off and see how the smoke is with just the elbow . Then go from there .
My experience is the fan placed close like in your picture can cause the smoke to actually go into the garage .
The fan will pull supply air from an area of the lowest pressure , which in this case will be outside ambient air .
I've had better luck doing this by placing a fan deeper inside the garage pointed in the direction you want the smoke to go .
In the end it's a crap shoot . So have a backup plan , and good luck .
Ok, thanks. This will be an adventure. Rethinking the vent pipe now...

Took the duct pipe off, smoke seems to be rolling good. Watching the temps closely.

Attachments

• 20211125_081145.jpg
    20211125_081145.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: TNJAKE
Good deal . Glad it's working out .
I made myself a couple gadgets to hold the therm wires . I only have one probe in this pic , but gives the idea . I've had all 4 , and it works great . Just some scrap wood and a couple magnets . The round one takes up the slack . Damn pictures to tall .
20200420_115325.jpg
Keeps them from hanging .
20200420_115333.jpg

Enjoy your day . Try to get a finished pic .

Good deal . Glad it's working out .
I made myself a couple gadgets to hold the therm wires . I only have one probe in this pic , but gives the idea . I've had all 4 , and it works great . Just some scrap wood and a couple magnets . The round one takes up the slack . Damn pictures to tall .
View attachment 517223
Keeps them from hanging .
View attachment 517224

Enjoy your day . Try to get a finished pic .
That's a great idea! I think I'll try that for future use.

Definitely going to try to take finished pics!!

If the weather starts messing with you at the big door, you could move the smoker over to the man door placing the exhaust corner to the cracked door, maybe even a short pice of exhaust pipe out the door. This would cut the exposure of the smoker to the weather. I think you are going to be fine.

Ok, so thanks to everyone. I hope you all have/had a great Thanksgiving!!

Both birds turned out GREAT!

Put them on before 8am and we ate at 4. Temps were perfect, and actually had to dial back the heat for the last 2.5 hours. About to pass out from turkey and beers, but before I do, here's a pic:

Attachments

• 20211125_161311.jpg
    20211125_161311.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 15
I'd say you nailed it! Great job! Now you have time for one more beer quick! Lol

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky