Any new Michigan Members?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cold wind plays hell on them no doubt. Your wind block is a good idea. Welding blankets are another. The 4" PVC to extend the draft with an elbow on the end can also be helpful as you can turn the elbow away from the wind.

Would it be beneficial to buy some PVC elbows and extensions for all 3 ports? These would be temporary to get past the colder weather.

Getting a cold snap the next few days and plan on getting a butt on Saturday morning.
I was thinking 6" risers just to get off the frigid cool air running of the ground.

3 ports? Guess I'd have to see a picture of what you're talking about.

Edit: I should clarify. I mean a pvc extension for the bung hole exhaust on the lid, not for the inlets.

I am running 3- 3/4" intake ports on the bottom of the drum. They are just a nipple right out of the drum. I have 2 that are capped, and 1 on a valve.
If I add a 90° elbow to all 3 and raise them about 6" to try to get warmer air and not get a direct blast of frigid air straight into the drum.

All my 3/4's have 90 elbows and a two foot rise then the valves. So I can't speak to how yours is affected by the wind with your setup. My suggestion was to extend your exhaust temporarily with the PVC so that the wind can swirl around a bit in the extension without having as much of a vacuum effect on your smoker.

how does this model hold up when smoking during the cold michigan months? does it keet the temp consistant ?
Those are essentially just minifridges with a glass door. They are insulated. Should hold up pretty good. I had a UDS that held temp on a single-digit day that was drawing sub-zero wind chills. The cold air getting sucked in the intake is what hurt me. The ambient temp didn't flinch the drum temp much.

Hello from Redford! I am in the process of building a 60 gallon reverse flow. I'm detailing that on this forum. Going has been a bit slow this last week as I am doing it in my spare time at work. Hoping to have it done and on the trailer by spring.

Soon to be back in Mi once transferred. Heading to Sault Ste. Marie. Was stationed in Manistee and wife is from Ludington. Can’t wait
Hey Brian! Glad to hear you're headed "home". The weather is a little bi-polar in metro Detroit right now, but that's March every year! Sault Ste Marie might take a little longer to warm up, but it sounds like you've done this before. :emoji_snowflake: Take care.

Hey cool breeze! Thanks for checking in. What part of the state do you call home?

Hooker with any questions.
Humdinger
SE Oakland County with strong ties to the UP. My Moms a yooper transplant. We have a family cabin up there and a lot of family.

Yeah I haven’t worked since St Patrick’s day. But the extra $600 a week on top of the $362 a week unemployment max sure does help. Whenever Chrysler starts making cars again I’ll be back. Just been doing a little yard work, and a lot of outdoor cooking and drinking lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky