Any electricians around Dyer killing dish signal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well new dryer hooked up and still loses signal! I just knew this was going to take of it. I don't mind so much buying the dryer as other was pretty old. Time to have Dish move the dish I guess.

IMHO, I would check with your utility provider like I've mentioned before. This could be on their end.

Check the coax. In an earlier post you mentioned that the coax has been in place for many years. It sounds like that coax is RG-59.
That has a shield to ground, but not 100%. On the side of the cable will be printed which type of coax. Get a length of RG-6 to run
from the dish to the receiver. Check ground continuity on the shield. In fact, look for a voltage spike on the coax shield when the dryer
starts. If resistance to ground is more than 2 or 3 ohms, provide another path to ground for the shield.

I believe you said for quite some time everything worked fine. Since changing the dryer out didn’t work there must be a different correctable issue. Does it only lose signal when you start the dryer? May be a dumb question but can you run the power cord for the dish and receiver to a neighbor outlet to try it that way?Seems to me it has to be something in your wiring or coax.

Have Dish tech look for interference with his equipment. You may also have some high frequency component on the power line. He can look for that as well with a proper voltmeter.

Arcing and sparking causes radio frequency interference (RFI). Is it possible to wire the dryer to a cord, to eliminate possible house wiring issue?

RG

Last edited:
Coax is shielded. So I wouldn't be too concerned with that. But EMF can be introduced by the electrical supplier. And Robert is correct. Most appliances are designed to operate normally with a +/- 10% voltage deviation. And, I would hope that the dryer is on a fixed double pole breaker. Not 2 singles.
Remember all coax is not created equally either.

My bet is he has a nicked cable or a loose or crappy installed connectors that are leaking. Any cable company can come out and check your cables for a leak with a meter and fix or replace the problem cable or connections. Also check your cables for areas that could have been chewed up by rats or squirrels.

The coax cable or connectors could have a leak, or it could just be bad RG6 cable. The first thing I would do is check all the connection making sure they are "tight", not snug but not overly tight either. If that doesn't work I would replace the old cable run with RG11 which has much better shielding than RG6 cable, and it's better suited for long runs and don't skimp on the connectors make sure they are RG11 rated connectors, and they are installed correctly, or they can leak signal as well.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky