Antique cook books for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cj7851

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Wheeling, WV
An early Christmas present from my grandma. A couple recipe books that her mom (my great grandma) had one of which has several hand written recipes including a couple for sausage. Going to have to do some work to be able to fully read them as they are quite faded.

20191224_201647.jpg
20191224_201623.jpg
20191224_201647.jpg 20191224_201623.jpg
20191224_201647.jpg
20191224_201623.jpg

I love old stuff like this! I've got my grandfathers "Memorandum" pocket journal that dates from 1902-1906. He was running fish traps from an island on the Columbia near Skamokawa WA and in the off season contracting to sell fire wood to the railroad (for their steam locomotives.) Employees were getting paid .75 per cord up to 1.25 if you had your own dray and team. Hay was deducted from your wages though. He had a bad sweet tooth and has a few cookie and pastry recipes written down. The ammonia was bakers ammonia which was used before baking powder came to be.

klOtsPf.jpg

k2Yg49y.jpg

Reactions: shoebe
That is very nice to have. The paperwork from our house, a farm house that is 121 years old is very interesting to look at as well. The tax stamp is still intact.

That's cool . Try making a copy of the hand written stuff . Sometimes it will darken the words , and you can keep the original safe .

I love old stuff like this! I've got my grandfathers "Memorandum" pocket journal that dates from 1902-1906. He was running fish traps from an island on the Columbia near Skamokawa WA and in the off season contracting to sell fire wood to the railroad (for their steam locomotives.) Employees were getting paid .75 per cord up to 1.25 if you had your own dray and team. Hay was deducted from your wages though. He had a bad sweet tooth and has a few cookie and pastry recipes written down. The ammonia was bakers ammonia which was used before baking powder came to be.

View attachment 425188

View attachment 425189
That's is really awesome. Once I get the recipes restored I will definitely be trying them out. I am going to make copies od the books and laminate them so I can use it without worrying about ruining them.

Reactions: Norwester55
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky