Another whole hog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brimcconnell

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Branson, MO
I did another pig.  This one was 153 lbs.  Injected with simple solution of Apple Cider vinegar, dry rub spices and cayenne.  All my calculations indicated that I needed 24 hours so we started this little piggy at 4:00 pm on Thursday afternoon.  My calculations were wrong and it was done by Noon the next day.  I had to keep it warm until 3:00 when we took it off for a 4:00 serving time.  I used a new injector which I loved.

spit jack meat injector

My smoker, a reverse flow offset, is not the fastest way to smoke a pig, bit it sure gets the smoke.  This was my first smoke during the warmer part of the year.  My other three pigs have been in November and December.  This time I did two shoulders as well which turned out really good.  The flavor was incredible.  I know whole hog is not the best way to smoke all the meat but it has a "wow" factor to it.  I will likely not do another whole hog and will instead start doing the individual cuts of meat the proper way.

A little thin blue smoke

Holding the pig for extended time darkened the head and we lost a limb or two getting him off the smoker.

Picked one side at a time since we had a wide time frame for serving.  That way more people got to see most of the pig.

Also did 6 chickens that turned out very nice but didn't get Q view so it doesn't count.  I believe we served somewhere around 100 people.  Whole hog is a lot of work but I'm glad I have done several.  As you can see, I still have much to learn but 

Reactions: noboundaries
looks good.... I keep thinking I need to do a whole hog....
drool.gif

Great job of Q-viewing your effort and results.  Looks great! 

I'm in the embryonic stages of designing an outdoor kitchen that will include a cinder block pit that can be used as ether a Santa Maria type grill or pit smoker.  If it ever gets built, a small pig will be one of the first things I smoke for all the neighbors.   

Ed, It is an incredible experience but a lot of work and planning.  Also helps to have a lot of people that need to eat tasty pig.

That Pig looks great! Yes it is A LOT easier to smoke a bunch of Butts and Ribs for a party but nothing has the visual impack of a whole Hog. Besides Butts don't have that crispy Skin and all the goodies, best eating, of the Head!...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks Ray.  I always have such great intentions of writing and sending pics as I go.  Then I get tired and decide I will do it all at once later after a good long nap. This pig was not the largest I've done but it was big enough.  Easily fed 100 people with plenty left for the "Crew."  I think the temp got a little high while I was resting and my brother was tending the fire.  (Cant find good help these days.) I do want to think about buying one of those electronic fans that can help keep the temp steady.

Thanks Chef.  It was fun and the crowd certainly enjoyed seeing it and eating it.  Had lots of good compliments and oohs and aahs.  People are wowed when you pull off a chunk of meat and shred it right onto their plate.  Everytime I do a whole hog I tell myself this is the last one.  But somehow, the piggy calls to me and I'll be ready to do another one in six months or so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky