Another Sourdough Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
man crust from sourdough starter is just killer! So glad to have found this! it handle high hear very good without being to dried and hard. this was a traditional: hot sausage and black olive.
IMG_6395.jpg

Yours looks fantastic!
We are making one now, onions & Home made dry cured pepperoni, sourdough with double zero flour. I’m getting hungry!
Al

Dave or Rich which ever it is that is one fine looking pizza. Way to go.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like a nice thin crust, too, which is my preference. It looks like it was cooked on parchment paper -- is that what you did? I've had trouble moving pizza dough to the stone, but the parchment paper would be a game changer. Last crust I made was a sourdough crust with an overnight rise -- not "sour" at all and great flavor.

Looks freaking amazing. I have never heard of sourdough pie before. Going to have to look into that... 👍

It looks like it was cooked on parchment paper -- is that what you did?
Totally! Way back I used corn meal which is a mess. Parchment is the only way to go! give it a rip

man crust from sourdough starter is just killer! So glad to have found this! it handle high hear very good without being to dried and hard. this was a traditional: hot sausage and black olive.
View attachment 464812
Dave, that pie looks awesome, I'll never go back to pizza dough that uses yeast the S.D. is where it's at big time.

I do have one trick that will help your crust get that golden brown color and produce leopard spots on the bottom of the pie. Try adding 1/4 to1/2 tsp of this to your flour before you make your dough.

If it doesn't get dark enough add a total of 1 tsp the next time, it works great in bread dough as well.
Just a recommendation. Just be warned that if you add too much your dough will burn so try a little each time until you dail it in.
Dan

Reactions: sandyut
ill look in to this for sure! I have seen it in some bread recipes. thanks!

I've used the Anthony's and King Arthur's there was no difference between them except for price.
So I stick with the Anthony's or buy flour that in malted, Central Milling CO in UT sells malted flours designed for sourdough bread and pizza. I have a Central Milling CO close to home so that is how I roll most of the time and our Costco sells it most of the time. It's great organic flour, if you buy this for pizza making it upped my game big time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky