Another smoking newbie in Wisconsin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

valleyman0505

Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
Recently bought Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30" electric smoker. I promised my wife she would like the food coming out of it when justifying the purchase (she's never really had smoked meat before). So far, I've been less than successful. My first 2 attempts were spare ribs and then a pork loin. In both cases, the meat was WAY too smoky. It was like eating something cooked over an ashy campfire in both cases. I guess it is time to fine tune how often I add wood. Also trying to determine how the size of the wood affects amount of smoke, type of smoke, etc. Now that I've introduced myself, back to researchingredients the forums...

Welcome to SMF!

Glad to have you with us!

If you want a lighter smoke taste, try using apple wood chips.

Or you can do as a lot of the guys do that have your smoker.

That is get an Amazen pellet tray (AMNPS).

You will get nice light smoke for hours without refilling it.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Al

Thanks, AL. FWIW, with my first attempt (ribs), I used a mix of apple and hickory. For the loin, I used 100% apple. For some reason, the apple "chips" I got are more shredded than chipped. It is like scooping toothpicks into the tray. This causes them to burn quickly. Could that be a cause of over-smoking? Or, since I have been smoking in cold weather, could the burner temp be too high trying to maintain temp and causing the chips to burn in a way causing an ashy smoke flavor? Or, maybe I am just flat out using too many chips and over-smoking. I can't quite tell if it is too much smoke or just a foul smoke flavor causing the taste issue.

I have seen many recommendations on the forums for the AMNPS you mentioned. I had planned to buy the MB slow smoker add-on. Would I be better off with Amazen? I do plan to do some cold smoking once I get the hang of this (primarily summer sausage and fish).

Thanks again. I am planning another loin attempt tomorrow, so maybe the next attempt will give me more clues.

Last edited:
texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a nice sunny day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great            people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky