Another smoke-roasted pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Picked up a bone in pork shoulder. De-boned it, tied it up, injected it front and back with Tony Cachere's roasted garlic and herb injection, poured a little Tony Cachere's into the (2-gallon) ZipLoc and then let rest in the fridge overnight.
IMG_1589.JPG

In the smoker
IMG_1591.JPG

I gave it a very nice maple syrup / brown sugar glaze with a little cinnamon and nutmeg thrown in for fun. The glaze tastes fantastic. I pulled it out of the smoker at 165 / 167-degrees.
IMG_1593.JPG

It came out tender, juicy and flavorful, but, it is just a little bit too well done for me - next time I would go 160-degrees max. The maple syrup / brown sugar glaze is spectacular.
IMG_1594.JPG

Smoke roasted pork shoulder by RS

Looks really good. I agree with ya. Pull it between 155 and 160. Then let the carryover finish it. Again nice job and the glaze sounds great.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks great . By looking I'd say just a touch more starts to break it down some , but not enough to pull . I bet that has great flavor , and sounds like you have it dialed in for what you like . Nice work .

Thank you gentlemen. It was very good - and the maple syrup brown sugar glaze is outstanding - but I think 155 to 160-degrees is the right temperature for me. There is a line where pork changes texture depending on the temperature and I guess I prefer the lower side of that line. That is probably why I am not a fan of pulled pork.

I am also stuck using B&B kiln fried hickory from HEB and I cannot say I am real cray-cray about it. I think I will try the Kingsford brand of it from Home Depot next time and see if it is any better. Getting quality wood around here is a real joke.

Looks good to me. Sliced shoulder butt is under rated in certain barbecue circles. When making sausage or plain ground pork, or cubed pork... I will cut away the Coppa roast, which is basically the top of the butt (where the money muscle and the tube muscles are) and save those. I take them into the 190°'s, but I'm slicing a little thicker. For sandwiches or sliders 175° is closer to my sweet spot.
u7j7yqG.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky