another rabbit hole!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
so, here i am ... minding my own business wandering the forums... and i go 'look! they have a home gardening section.'. then i see theres a whole section devoted to peppers. it's almost like i've found my spirit animal. i grow jalapenos every year in my 3 small raised beds (mostly because i love stuffed jalapenos on the grill), but i've never thought about making my own hot sauce... and, then i start reading. 2 1/2 hrs later... i have these that came from a gallon bag of habaneros left over from '21 that was still in the freezer...
IMG_0292.JPG

had to happen. my cdo demanded it. i mean, you can only pickle so many jalapenos and i don't have friends that really like spicy food. which is why i'm so happy to find something different to do with them. this is my first try at it, so we'll see how it turns out. i won't feel that bad if i have to pitch the batch since they were frozen anyway (which, i know kills the heat).

so, i processed the peppers monday evening, and jarred them waiting for a ph meter and bottles. now it's separated... should i give it a stir and bottle it up (and shake before using), or pitch the batch, or add something to prevent the separation? tried a little on some bread and it was tasty, and hadn't lost its heat which made me happy. i also saved the mash... thinking about throwing that in the dehydrator to make 'habanero powder' out of.
IMG_0318.JPG

ordered some xanthan gum - thanks Steve for the tip!

ph measured at 3.8, so that's right where i want it i think. into the fridge it goes to slow the ferment. will post pics when its bottled.

You're welcome. After adding vinegar, mine dropped to 3.4. Just go real easy with the gum. For a quart. Start with 1/8 tsp. Shake immediately. Let it set for awhile to see if it separates. If it still does. Add a touch more and shake.

that worked like a charm! surely there's some wizardry involved with this stuff. all bottled up. i feel like i should put some sort of labels on them warning folks - this is 100% habaneros. maybe "Mild" would be a good label.
IMG_0320.JPG

anyway - on a whim after i started this ferment i also started some sauerkraut... and i just popped the top on one of those jars today. i gotta say. i am never buying kraut at the store ever again. like the difference between a frozen dinner and mom's fried chicken. i'd post a picture of that but it'd be an empty jar. so good!

Reactions: Steve H
I'm in this boat...
I bottled my "sauce" at just below a simmer into boiled bottles so I know it's sterile. Now, being my first go around at bottling, I tried some of both and they are really good. I let them set for a week and then some and here's what I have.
20230127_180223 (1).jpg

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky