Another Oldie 1977 JC Penny Catalog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The louder plaid sports coats are somewhat making a comeback. Seriously. The rest of the stuff, not so much, or maybe just not yet?

I definitely remember the large, pointed collars...after all, you didn't want to be "button-down", an expression that still survives for someone who wears a dress shirt and tie when not really warranted.
And I personally prefer a wider belt...however not quite THAT wide.
Especially when you were naughty and it was in your dad's hands! Lol

Ryan

If you think the clothes are funny from 1977, look at the cars…

Timeless style ..

You absolutely have to read every word of this. It's HYSTERICAL!

View attachment 519563

A JC Penney catalog from 1977. It's not often blog fodder just falls in my lap, but holy hell this was two solid inches of it, right there for the taking. I thumbed through it quickly and found my next dining room set, which is apparently made by adding upholstery to old barrels:

View attachment 519564

Also, I am totally getting this for my bathroom:

View attachment 519565

There's plenty more home furnishings where those came from, however I'm not going to bore you with that. Instead, I'm going to bore you with something else. The clothes.

The clothes are fantastic.

Here's how to get your ass kicked in elementary school:

View attachment 519566

Just look at that belt. It's like a boob-job for your pants. He probably needed help just to lift it into place. The belt loops have to be three inches long. And way to pull them up to your armpits.

Here's how to get your ass kicked in high school:

View attachment 519567

This kid looks like he's pretending to be David Soul, who is pretending to be a cop who is pretending to be a pimp that everyone knows is really an undercover cop. Who is pretending to be 15.

Here's how to get your ass kicked on the golf course:

View attachment 519568

This "all purpose jumpsuit" is, according to the description, equally appropriate for playing golf or simply relaxing around the house. Personally, I can't see wearing this unless you happen to be relaxing around your cell in D-block. Even then, the only reason you should put this thing on is because the warden made you, and as a one-piece, it's slightly more effective as a deterrent against ass-rapery.

Here's how to get your ass kicked pretty much anywhere:

View attachment 519569

If you look at that picture quickly, it looks like Mr. Bob "No-pants" Saget has his hand in the other guy's pocket. In this case, he doesn't, although you can tell just by looking at them that it's happened - or if it hasn't happened it will. Oh yes. It will. As soon as he puts down his matching coffee cup.

Here's how to get your ass kicked at the beach:

View attachment 519570

He looks like he's reaching for a gun, but you know it's probably just a bottle of suntan lotion in a holster.

How to get your ass kicked in a meeting:

View attachment 519571

If you wear this suit and don't sell used cars for a living, I believe you can be fined and face serious repercussions, up to and including termination. Or imprisonment, in which case you'd be forced to wear that orange jumpsuit.

How to get your ass kicked on every day up to and including St. Patrick's Day

View attachment 519572

Dear god in heaven, I don't believe that color exists in nature. There is NO excuse for wearing either of these ensembles unless you're working as a body guard for the Lucky Charms leprechaun.

In this next one, Your Search For VALUE Ends at Penneys.

View attachment 519573

As does your search for chest hair.

And this -- Seriously. No words.

View attachment 519574

Oh wait, it turns out that there are words after all. Those words are What. The. F*ck. I'm guessing the snap front gives you quick access to the chest hair. The little tie must be the pull tab.

Also, judging by the sheer amount of matching his/hers outfits, I'm guessing that in 1977 it was considered pretty stylish for couples to dress alike. These couples look happy, don't they?

View attachment 519575

View attachment 519576

I am especially fond of this one, which I have entitled "Cowboy Chachi Loves You Best."

View attachment 519577

And nothing showcases your everlasting love more than the commitment of matching bathing suits. That, and a blonde girl with a look on her face that says "I love the way your junk fights against that fabric."

View attachment 519578

Then, after the lovin', you can relax in your one-piece matching terry cloth jumpsuits:

View attachment 519579

I could go on, but I'm tired, and my eyes hurt from this trip back in time. I think it's the colors. That said, I will leave you with these tasteful little numbers:

View attachment 519580

Man, that's sexy.
So, this stuff isn’t cool anymore?
(note to self, need a new wardrobe for Christmas)

Those clothes were the 'in' thing in 1977. I was wearing hand-me-downs from three older brothers. And that's no one line big time.

If y'all think a catalog from the '70s and cars from the same era are funny you should look at an early 1900's Sears catalog and see what all you could buy back then.

Plain white T shirt and blue jeans was the standard attire when I went to school.
Then one day a teacher with a thick accent was stopping kids and sending them home at the entrance gate telling us we were in underwear shirts.

Parents were off the chain furious and the school claimed that teacher deputized himself and did this solely on his own.

We later learned he was former Hitler Youth that immigrated to the US and hadn't yet shook the attitude.

Plain white T shirt and blue jeans was the standard attire when I went to school.
Then one day a teacher with a thick accent was stopping kids and sending them home at the entrance gate telling us we were in underwear shirts.

Parents were off the chain furious and the school claimed that teacher deputized himself and did this solely on his own.

We later learned he was former Hitler Youth that immigrated to the US and hadn't yet shook the attitude.

White T-shirts were only allowed in Gym class in my school, but I'm talking about 50s & 60s. Probably much different in years since.

Bear

I was 17 in '77 . Wore Levi's , but a lot of the shirts came from Penny's catalog .

cruising in my 63 Galaxy 500

I had a '65. Would love to have it back...
Both great body styles . I like them all from '63 up through '72 .
I had a '68 fast back with a 390 , and a 1970 4 door that was set up like the car in the movie White Lightning with Burt Reynolds .

Last edited:
My first car was a '68 Ford Custom, not a Custom 500, just a Custom. Had a 302, and the only options wre Power Steering and Heater. Manual Brakes. It was a tank. Not much power, but built heavy enough to get me through many accidents while I learned how to drive, lol.

Made me remember the suit I wore for my first marriage in '75. Windowpane check polyester complete with wide lapels and cuffed bell bottoms.
Wide white tie and white belt. OMG!
We weren't allowed to wear white t-shirts in high school ('68-'71) except in gym class. Same with shoes; Wingtips or Penny Loafers was the standard.
No jeans allowed but white Levis was Ok. Girls had to wear skirts unless it was extremely cold out, but slacks, no jeans.
Things have changed so much but I sometimes wonder if it's for the better.
In '77 I was still driving cars from the '60s. Wish I still had the 2 tone El Camino....

Reactions: Bearcarver
Made me remember the suit I wore for my first marriage in '75. Windowpane check polyester complete with wide lapels and cuffed bell bottoms.
Wide white tie and white belt. OMG!
We weren't allowed to wear white t-shirts in high school ('68-'71) except in gym class. Same with shoes; Wingtips or Penny Loafers was the standard.
No jeans allowed but white Levis was Ok. Girls had to wear skirts unless it was extremely cold out, but slacks, no jeans.
Things have changed so much but I sometimes wonder if it's for the better.
In '77 I was still driving cars from the '60s. Wish I still had the 2 tone El Camino....

LOL---Nobody made fun of the suit I wore when we got married in 1968:

Bear

0.jpeg

I was 17 in '77 . Wore Levi's , but a lot of the shirts came from Penny's catalog .

Both great body styles . I like them all from '63 up through '72 .
I had a '68 fast back with a 390 , and a 1970 4 door that was set up like the car in the movie White Lightning with Burt Reynolds .
Pennys Towncraft was THE Tshirt to wear. Heavy Duty.

Wow, a lot of pics from my elementary school days. Growing up in a small town, the main place I can remember seeing matching his and her outfits would have been the couples that went to square dances. I remember having the shirt in that first shot. Also remember the corduroys. Main place I saw those featured jumpsuits was on older gentlemen in the late 70s and most of the 80s. Also remember seeing that fancy blue shirt with the mini tie. Some big actor was wearing it on the silver screen.

Pennys Towncraft T shirts were thicker than Fruit of the Loom and the Pennys sleeves reached down to your elbows.

if ya bought them over-sized they'd last a couple semesters and could even be a hand me down.

Ya never wore Pennys Foremost jeans, ya wanted Levis 501's.

Pennys suits were pretty common. Reasonably priced and durable enough to be a hand me down too.
Growing up in So Cali it was warm most the year, no AC back then so it was Tshirts and jeans.
No shorts in school back then.

00f94c10025eb8f2467a175e8b6e9152.png

Last edited:
Pennys Towncraft T shirts were thicker than Fruit of the Loom and the Pennys sleeves reached down to your elbows. If ya bought them over-sized they'd last a couple semesters and could even be a hand me down. Ya never wore Pennys Foremost jeans, ya wanted Levis 501's. Pennys suits were pretty common. Reasonably priced and durable enough to be a hand me down. Growing up in So Cali it was warm most the year, no AC back then so it was Tshirts and jeans.

View attachment 520315

Don't know if it is, but that Pic looks like "Bud", from the old series "Father Knows Best"

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky