Another Non-fat Dry Milk Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And on a side note: Chicken breasts are very hard to stuff through a 1/2" tube.

laugh1.gif

Take your recipe. Say you need 3/4 cup nfpdm right from the package.  Take that pulse it in whatever you use, put it back in the 3/4 cup. Its not at the 3/4 cup line is it. So naturally you add more ground pdm to make the 3/4 cup.....BANG .......To much pdm in your recipe.

Use the pdm at your recipe right from the package, it will break down while mixing. Yes there are a few other options. Mix the pdm with your liquid, mix with your other dry.

Your Results May Vary
. Good point. That's why it's a good practice to use weight instead of volume in recipes.

For what it's worth, I wait til just before stuffing to add the NFDM (or SPC). It's not such a sticky mess if you don't let it sit overnight in the fridge.
Just my .02...

Same here, store bought NFDM right out of the box, and always go by weight not volume.
Actually, I'm still confused on dissolving it in the water you add or not.  Add it dry to meat mixture, or make it into milk and then add?

I'm going to make it into milk, then add.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm still confused on dissolving it in the water you add or not.  Add it dry to meat mixture, or make it into milk and then add?

I'm going to make it into milk, then add.
I just add it dry a little at a time while mixing just before stuffing. I usually add a tad of water then also to make stuffing a little easier.
Whatever works for you is right, but you have to find that for yourself.
Welcome to sausage! [emoji]128521[/emoji]

You want to dissolve it in the amount of liquid the sausage recipe calls for, and not by the milk instructions.

I've reconsidered. I'm going to add it dry, slowly. Add water as needed.

Whew, glad that's decided! For now anyway.

Last edited:
I know I'm a little late to the party but I just wanted to chime in on the subject of Non Fat Dry Powder Milk. There are 3 types on Non Fat Dry Milk that are sold commercially. Low Heat, Medium Heat, and High Heat. Each one has it's unique application in the market place. The Low Heat version is best suited for dairy applications like adding body to yogurt or butter milk. It's added to ice cream or milk shakes and it's especially used in cheese production during the season when the cow's milk is in low production. Low Heat Non Fat Dry Milk is the most common milk powder found on the grocery store shelves and although similar to skim milk powder the 2 are not the same. The next version is Medium Heat Non Fat Dry Milk and that version is used in dairy applications, candy making, and some meat production. The third version is the High Heat Non Fat Dry Milk Powder and this version is the one that's typically called for in sausage making. High Heat Non Fat Dry Milk gives the sausage aids in protein extraction during mixing which helps to improve the bind and aids in sausage texture. It also has great water holding capacity and when heated it forms an irreversible gel bond that retains moisture (think corn starch) giving you a much juicer sausage. High Heat NFDM finally adds flavor and richness to your sausage. In sausage making the use of High Heat NFDM also aids in the forming and stabilization of fat emulsions. This version is generally not found in supermarkets or health food stores as it's typically only used in commercial application of baking, ice cream making, and meat processing.

If you were to use Low Heat NFDM in your sausages (which is the kind you would buy at the supermarket) you would in essence just be adding a richness, dairy flavor to your sausage but you would not be benefiting from the moisture retention properties or the enhanced binding capacity that High Heat NFDM offers. You would be better off using cream as your added liquid and saving your money on the milk powder...

I've only ever seen High Heat NFDM sold in bulk from the manufacturer or repackaged in 1 or 5 pound containers sold at sausage supply houses. I hope that helps...

Hmmmm

I must be real lame because i never heard of low, med, high heat nfpdm.

I use regular store bought boxed/packaged nfpdm and NEVER had a problem

I use regular store bought boxed/packaged nfpdm and NEVER had a problem

LOL. Save your money, the store bought milk powder isn't doing you any favors. You've most likely never had a problem because you already know how to make sausages properly and my guess will be that if you made a batch with the milk powder that you use, and one without it you will find the results are the same (as far as texture and juiciness). The flavor might be slightly different though.

Cajuneric Cajuneric

How would sodium tripolyphosphate compare to high heat NFDM powder as far as binding properties?
inda

Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.

Due to a unique instantizing process and the combination of short and long chain phosphates, AmesPhos will dissolve completely at temperatures as low as 20 F and in the presence of salt. Additionally, AmesPhos will dissolve completely in hard water and will not cause phosphate precipitation.

Specifications:
Combination of: Sodium Tripolyphosphate; Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate
Appearance: White granular powder

Advantages:
  • Improved cooked flavor.
  • Reduced loss of meat fluids.
  • Increased tenderness and juiciness
  • Improved firmer texture
  • Better and faster color development

LOL

Save my $$.

Dood this aint my first sausage rodeo
No worries and I don't mean to offend, I'm just saying that the Low Heat stuff that's bought in supermarkets is not the NFDM that's called for in sausage recipes. It does not have the binding advantages or the water holding capacity that the High Heat NFMP does. Don't take my work for it though, check out what the manufacturers say about NFDM: Nonfat Dry Milk Powders | All American Foods, Inc. (aafoods.com)

I called Dairy America out of Fresno, CA to clarify the issue as they are a huge producer as well. I have to be honest, I was using the store bought stuff as well until I got my hands on the High Heat version and did a side by side comparison. After the tests I realized that I was wasting my money on the store bought stuff. We learn something new every day😁

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks for the reply Rick... I did some extensive research on phosphates when I was creating my pineapple sausage recipe. Seems there are quite a few phosphates one can use when making sausages and there is a wide range of pH values. There are some that are basic which would be good when making pineapple sausages because of the natural acidity in the pineapple.

Also-thanks Cajuneric for the info....always more to learn in this craft....

I'll make a suggestion for a pineapple sausages for the celebrate sausage series 2021 if you are still looking for ideas....

Reactions: Cajuneric
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky