Another newbie to smoking......wood chips???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tdq64

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Got a Gas Smoker fro Christmas, seasoned it....twice. Noticed the chips smoke for only a small period of time as to what it will take to smoke a nice pork butt. Is one shot sufficient or should another / multiple trays of chips be added throughout the smoking process???

Hoping to have time to smoke a butt this weekend...........

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First, welcome to SMF.  When you can, get over to Roll Call so the group can give you a proper introduction.

As for the wood chips, I use chunks in my gasser along with a small amount of chips just to get the smoke started.  I can usually fill the wood box and that will last for several hours without refilling.  

Make sure you post some photos.

Curt.

welcome1.gif
  Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the Forum. I will fill a coffee can covered with doulble heavy duty foil make a few small slits in the foil filled with chips chunks and sometimes I put a piece of Lump in there for good measure. Depending on what you have, I place the can sort of at an angle in the chip box holder and let her fly. I can get several hrs smoke this way, and I usually soak my chips for a hour before hand don't know why the instructions said so, its up to you.

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Ask questions and use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Welcome to SMF. I'm fairly new here myself. I got a Masterbuilt Smokehouse for Christmas. I have smoked 3 hams and 1 pork loin. All came out great! I use wood chips wrapped in heavy duty foil with a few small holes made with a fork. I get about 1 to 1-1/2 hours of smoke each time. I did a LOT of reading on here before I even attemted to start. It made all the difference. Everyone on here is very nice and very helpful. I bought Jeff's rub and sauce recipe....WELL worth the money! I will be smoking my first ribs tomorrow....expecting a great turnout. Let us know how yours turns out

Brian

TDQ64, welcome to the best smoking site there is. I have a gasser myself and can get a couple hrs of smoke out of it. I use chunks only and then I use about 6 chunks at a time. I have tried soaking them and using them dry, and I prefer to use them dry. Try both ways and see which way you prefer. I could get a longer smoke if I used more chunks but that's how I like to do it.

Stop over to roll call and introduce yourself and let us know where you are located.

We like to see pictures too (Q-Veiw), so be sure to take and post plenty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky