Another newbie here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedog420

Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
hello all,My name is Mark and I'm new to the smoked meat thing.My favorite bbq joint

went out of business about a year ago and ever since I've craved some old fashioned

pulled pork or beef brisket.I am in process of gathering parts for a diy double barrel "big baby"style smoker.I Smoked a pork shoulder last weekend on gas grill with hickory chips

and it turned out perfect with homemade cole slaw and chili with pork.Have a beef brisket

with 13 spice dryrub for this weekend.My question is should I build this smoker or stick to a smaller scale method.Mywife thinks its not necessary but I always think big.I figure I might have to spend a couple hundred bucks and a weekend but it seems it would be wonderful and wood is plentiful round here.I'm picking up a couple of nice drums tomorrow,could use some good advice,thanks,Mark

First off welcome to SMF. There are several smoker builders on here and I'm sure one will be along shortly to answer your questions.

Welcome to the forum. I started out with a brinman offset, then build a doublr barrel. The double barrel makes some awesome food and I've gotton 6 10 butts on the one I had. If your going to build the double barrell I suggest lining the bottom burn barrel with fire brick. Bigger is always better! I have a 250 now!

Build it big and they will come grasshopper
icon_mrgreen.gif

Welcome from another newb...

Well, a big
welcome1.gif
to you Smokedog,and here's hoping you have a great time here
biggrin.gif

Next step is to give is some Q-view of your present equip.  (if any) and keep us posted on the build.

Have fun and remember to ,

Hello mark, and welcome to the SMF. Good luck on your choice of build. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to the SMF.

Someday you will bless the day your favorite BBQ joint went out of business because with a little guidance from the fine folks on SMF you will soon be putting out BBQ that easily equals most if not all BBQ joints.

And Good luck on the build , plenty of folks on here that can and will help with that too.

Never be afraid to ask, thats what we're here for.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky