Another NC newb with a twist- Raised my own!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

78whiteorbs

Original poster
Feb 25, 2020
Greetings from Iron Station ,NC!
Been a DYI guy for many years and just getting into the delicious art of meat!!!
Small homestead we live on we raised two hogs from feeders and recently butchered them ourselves. Have made some outstanding hickory smoked bacon with pellets in my regular propane grill and smoked a whole 15lb ham just yesterday
This is what lead me here with many unanswered questions from the veterans!

Attachments

• 20200215_155118.jpg
    20200215_155118.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200223_090828.jpg
    20200223_090828.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 32
Welcome to the forum. Your many unanswered questions will be answered here. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here, and a wealth of information. I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been here and picked up some killer recipes.

Thanks! Most excellent! I am eager to learn.
Gotta lotta hog to smoke ... Excited....
I guess question number 1 is can I freeze my fresh hams and thaw and brine and smoke later. Have 2 five gallon buckets in fridge and buy they are taking up some real estate.
Making me antsy as I do not want to waste anything as this has been a 7 month endeavor.
So greatful for any help.

Reactions: JC in GB
Yes, thanks five tricks, that's what I needed to know!
Next 1 is I already brined a ham for 7 days.
But I should have doubled the recipe....Have a 14lb leg roast and recipe was for a 7 lb. Like an idiot I forgot. Removed it 7 days later and smoked it for 12 hours at 200 degrees with pellets on a propane grill. Looked beautiful and pulled it the temp was 160 degrees.

After resting cut into it and only half cured....so disappointed. So I had half ham half leg roast .....not what I was after. It was a solid muscle, I did not inject. Dont wanna die from botulism.. Dont wanna waste 14 lbs of meat either if it can be helped safely for sure. Was thinking to heat it. All again in oven

Maybe get everything above whatever temp would guarantee food safety. Maybe can dice it up for jambalaya or whatever. Like a fool I tried some already in ignorance before I knew this could be very dangerous.. 2 days ago. Freaked me out when I read about botulism would you guys toss it and chalk it up as expensive lesson learned or can it be safely eaten?

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from Wisconsin. :emoji_cat: Don't know what you have for equipment but I would be gettign the grinder ready for sausages with that much pork.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky