Another MES PID adventure starting...best practices?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Seems like my meat probes always read higher than temp probes, at first anyways but do seem to even out. That's when not in meat. But tested in ice water and boiling water are the same.

Ryan

Reactions: Danabw
BTW, I have to say I'm really disappointed in you guys...you should have sent someone to my house to force me to order the PID the day I joined the forum. What were you thinking, letting me stumble along w/out one!? :D :D :D :D

I love this, it's like getting a new smoker, and I am going love not having to babysit temps...

Man I'm excited for you hahaha!

I test my probes by getting a small pot of boiling water going.
I then take a probe and put it in a gallon ziplog back and twist the bag so the plastic is up against the probe and i put a rubber band on.
I put my hand in an oven mit and hold my probe in the water but NOT ont he bottom of the pan and see how it measures 212F for boiling water and then I note down if it is on or how off it is.
Repeat with all probes and note them down. You can take a piece of masking tape and at the plug side, not probe side, make a note on the tape and tape that like a label to the probe prong/wire to keep track.

If your unit allows you to do offsets then set the offsets, if not then just look at that marked masking tape when you smoke and go accordingly :)

It's so funny how the moment someone gets a PID and sets their smoker up they are always like "WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!?!?!" hahahaha. Glad to see you have come over to the big boys table and are going to enjoy how well your new smoker performs!!!

I'm looking forward to your first smoke with this new setup :)

That sounds like a good plan...I'll check the calibration of the sensors tomorrow.

It does seem like I've gotten an entirely new smoker, I'm really looking forward to what's first. I think it's going to be a tri-tip, we have a nice one in the freezer that I'm going to pull out tonight. Good things coming.

Thanks to you and everyone for all the great help/support provided, it's made the whole transition so much easier and fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky