Another Ice Tragedy Strikes (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We have managed over the past several years to buy three adjacent lots that total almost 4 acres. It was all totally raw, untouched land when we got it and we have spent years....countless thousands of hours, cleaning it up so it'd look nice. Limbed up thousands of trees, moved tons of rocks, removed all the ground scrub, and cut out hundreds of stumps.....all done by just Tracy and I. The place looks like national park land due to a huge amount of work on our part. This is the 3rd February in a row that we've gotten hit with ice storms that have wreaked havoc on the trees, with this one being the worst of the bunch. The icing started early Monday morning and has continued non-stop since. As of this posting, it is still coming down. Took a heartbreaking stroll around part of the property to survey the damage, and it is extreme.
004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

I only covered a small portion of the property, just stuff close to the house. I'm dreading seeing the carnage heading down the hill in the back to the canyon. So many hours and so much work destroyed in a matter of a few days. It is truly gut wrenching. Please understand that trees in this area are sacred. The "soil" is solid rock. If you want to put in a garden, you build up, not dig down. If you want to plant a tree, you get a jackhammer. For trees to grow to any decent size takes a long, long time. People go to extreme lengths to save trees for this reason. Yes, a lot of what is shown here are cedars but we have oaks in the back yard that are 2' in diameter that took some big hits too. Heck, those trees were probably around when Columbus came strolling through :emoji_laughing: Well, I've shed enough tears here. Now gotta get into the mindset to start the clean-up process, which is going to be a monumental task. Thanks for being here everybody so I have family to share the woes with.

Bummed and depressed,
Robert

Ice storms can be pretty nasty Robert. We see them every once in a while. So far our maples and evergreens have been able to survive the onslaught.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That is heartbreaking Robert. I’m so sorry to hear that and see it. Hang in there, let us know if you need anything.

Boy howdy Robert, that has to be a tough one to take after all the effort you put in, nature has a way of reclaiming her own. Pretty obvious what you'll be up to soon, be careful bud! RAY

That sucks Robert! We lose some branches here in ice storms but nothing that bad. We have no leaves on trees so way less surface area to ice up.

Ryan

Darn Robert, sorry to hear that. We have had our share of natural disasters this year too, so I REALLY feel your pain. You have a beautiful piece of land, and in time it will come back, but it will be a new back. It will never be what it was, but it may be better!
You never know. I don’t envy the cleanup though!
Al

We have managed over the past several years to buy three adjacent lots that total almost 4 acres. It was all totally raw, untouched land when we got it and we have spent years....countless thousands of hours, cleaning it up so it'd look nice. Limbed up thousands of trees, moved tons of rocks, removed all the ground scrub, and cut out hundreds of stumps.....all done by just Tracy and I. The place looks like national park land due to a huge amount of work on our part. This is the 3rd February in a row that we've gotten hit with ice storms that have wreaked havoc on the trees, with this one being the worst of the bunch. The icing started early Monday morning and has continued non-stop since. As of this posting, it is still coming down. Took a heartbreaking stroll around part of the property to survey the damage, and it is extreme.
View attachment 656646
View attachment 656647
View attachment 656648
View attachment 656649
View attachment 656650
View attachment 656651
View attachment 656652
View attachment 656653
View attachment 656654
View attachment 656655
View attachment 656656
View attachment 656657
View attachment 656658
View attachment 656659
View attachment 656660
View attachment 656661
View attachment 656662

I only covered a small portion of the property, just stuff close to the house. I'm dreading seeing the carnage heading down the hill in the back to the canyon. So many hours and so much work destroyed in a matter of a few days. It is truly gut wrenching. Please understand that trees in this area are sacred. The "soil" is solid rock. If you want to put in a garden, you build up, not dig down. If you want to plant a tree, you get a jackhammer. For trees to grow to any decent size takes a long, long time. People go to extreme lengths to save trees for this reason. Yes, a lot of what is shown here are cedars but we have oaks in the back yard that are 2' in diameter that took some big hits too. Heck, those trees were probably around when Columbus came strolling through :emoji_laughing: Well, I've shed enough tears here. Now gotta get into the mindset to start the clean-up process, which is going to be a monumental task. Thanks for being here everybody so I have family to share the woes with.

Bummed and depressed,
Robert

So sad to see that, Robert!

sorry Robert. However land still looks amazing if you ask me. And at least you guys are safe! Wish I lived down there and could give you a hand

I hate to see that Robert. We all know how much time you have spent on that property, and It's sad to see what the ice storm has done. Hang in there brother!

That sucks man. Sorry to hear all that. We just got some mild rain down here no freeze.

Good news? You live in a beautiful part of the country and the storm is gone. Sun will be shining this weekend.

And I'm no arborist but it looks like alot of those trees can be saved. Cut off the broken stuff and pray.

Hopefully you still have power, Robert. I just saw where over 400,000 were without it in Texas alone...

Man I feel awful for you and Texas overall. I know from many conversations how long and hard you worked on cleanup last year. Hang in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky