Another help choose a smoker thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

metsfan2152

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Hello everyone looking for some opinions on pellets smokers.
I have been using a masterbuilt vertical propane smoker for years now. Its starting to rust away now and looking to get something bigger and better. Looking to spend between $400-600.
I wanted to try and see how pellet smokers are. I seen all the threads where pellet smokers are not real smokers and such. Not really to concerned about those though.
I really been eyeing the Camp Chef DLX model. Just like to hear some feed back if i should look at something else in this price range. I guess try to talk me into something else.

Any suggestions would be great.

Reactions: kruizer
Hello everyone looking for some opinions on pellets smokers.
I have been using a masterbuilt vertical propane smoker for years now. Its starting to rust away now and looking to get something bigger and better. Looking to spend between $400-600.
I wanted to try and see how pellet smokers are. I seen all the threads where pellet smokers are not real smokers and such. Not really to concerned about those though.
I really been eyeing the Camp Chef DLX model. Just like to hear some feed back if i should look at something else in this price range. I guess try to talk me into something else.

Any suggestions would be great.
I have a Rec Tec and I’m getting ready to buy a second bigger one - the BFG. These things are made to let, thick gage steel, great electronics and so on. Wouldn’t buy anything else after owning one. Customer service is out of this world so you can see what I’d recommend. And while purists will say its not a real smoker, I can tell you below 250 it puts out as much smoke ad you’d ever want. So it is what it is, a grill that you can smoke excellent food on. And the convenience of the automatic wood feed makes you use it a whole lot more than you would if you have to tend to a fire. So depends what you want, but for convenient smoking, and being able to kick it up to 500 if ever needed to crisp something up, it’s fantastic.

I have a Rec Tec and I’m getting ready to buy a second bigger one - the BFG. These things are made to let, thick gage steel, great electronics and so on. Wouldn’t buy anything else after owning one. Customer service is out of this world so you can see what I’d recommend. And while purists will say its not a real smoker, I can tell you below 250 it puts out as much smoke ad you’d ever want. So it is what it is, a grill that you can smoke excellent food on. And the convenience of the automatic wood feed makes you use it a whole lot more than you would if you have to tend to a fire. So depends what you want, but for convenient smoking, and being able to kick it up to 500 if ever needed to crisp something up, it’s fantastic.
What model are you currently using?

What model are you currently using?
Here I’d a pic of my brisket for Sr Patty’s feat. Set it at 225 and let it run while I slept. 40 lb hopper means it could run for 24 hours and you never have to open the lid unless you want to give it a spritz

Attachments

• 9C8D90DD-F416-4ED9-A563-DC425460F3F4.jpeg
    9C8D90DD-F416-4ED9-A563-DC425460F3F4.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 60
Thank you, I will take a look. Gotta decide if I want to spend more the the rec tec. I did look at them but they were a little expensive for me.
Yeah they’re pricy so understand. I can tell you they’re built to last.

I've had a Camp Chef 24 DLX for going on a year now - love this thing. Mine holds temp extremely well, have used many different pellets - all with success in feeding and burning. I feel it's built good for a $500 grill that does as well as this one does. My patio ceiling came crashing down (crappy drywall) right on top of it - didn't hurt a thing (tweaked the smokestack cap a touch).

IMG_20190116_121735-01.jpeg

Only mod is adding a front shelf, and some black fuzz gasketing around the lid. Also HIGHLY recommend getting a smoke tube - not that I'm a BBQ aficionado yet, but the grill pellets won't give the smoke flavor most want - adding the tube for 4-6 hours really makes the pellet system perfect.

Last edited:
Op, one thing to consider is all pellet grill are basically the same, there is a hopper full of pellets, an auger system that moves the pellets to the firepot and the controller that tells the auger what to do. What you are paying for, in the more expensive grills, are better quality materials, better electronics and piece of mind, that your grill will not explode, or catch fire, all of which has happened to less expensive grills from many makers. The Rec Tec has a a good reputation and seems to be fairly trouble free. What you have to decide is what your budget is and what size grill you need, then look for grills that meet those requirements.

You can probably make any of them blow up by not leaving the door open when starting the unit up, you can spend as much as you want and still not be happy,pick a price and try it for a year before you decide to keep or kick to the curb. Just remember most can be used for short high heat cooks for more ways to cook.

I have a campchef 24dlx and I wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemies. It constantly has flame outs, been told several different things to try from camp chef no help and now they are sending me parts out, the thing is complete garbage. Now i have about $900 (Sear box, jerky trays, cover, blanket) invested in this thing and its a month and half old and I have to take it apart and try and fix it. Thinking of taking a sledgehammer to it and smashing it then posting on youtube as my campchef review. Dont waste your money buy a higher quality grill

My experience is 180 degrees that of hardhead's who has my deepest sympathies for his misfortune (sorry man, hope you can find redemption in your next purchase). I bought my CC Woodwind SG with Sear Box the end of last month. It has worked 100% as advertised. No failures of any kind so far and I've done burgers, ribs, brisket, steaks, pheasant jerky, rainbow trout, and chicken on it so far and all have been eaten with much joy. The Woodwind is just an upgraded DLX and costs more than your budgeted amount. While I hear great things about all those pellet grills that sell for $2,000 to $8,000, I'm very happy with my $900 Woodwind SG with the Sear Box. I really believe that hardhead's experience is an exception to what most other CC owners have had. I absolutely would recommend it - but only to people I actually consider friends. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: Shootr
Thank you guys. I appreciate the input. I did not want to spend more then 600. In a couple of years if I really like the pellet smokers I will upgrade to a more expensive one. So just trying to find a solid 400-600 dollar one. I don't need anything to big. I would like to be able to cook 3-4 racks of ribs at once.

You'll probably need a rack to do more than 2 racks of ribs at a time.

On my DLX, I avoid the perimeter edges of the grates as fat/grease will miss the drip pan below and make a mess of the bottom of the grill + it puts flammable grease near the fire pot.

I've done two racks of ribs flat on the grates comfortably, a 12lb brisket, (2) 6 pound pork butts, etc - at any given time.

You'll probably need a rack to do more than 2 racks of ribs at a time.

On my DLX, I avoid the perimeter edges of the grates as fat/grease will miss the drip pan below and make a mess of the bottom of the grill + it puts flammable grease near the fire pot.

I've done two racks of ribs flat on the grates comfortably, a 12lb brisket, (2) 6 pound pork butts, etc - at any given time.
Got it. It comes with a top rack correct. Have you ever used that before to cook ribs?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky