Another Great Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by azsmokermark, Jun 16, 2014.

  1. azsmokermark

    azsmokermark Fire Starter

    This was my third port butt.

    We decided Saturday afternoon to have my parents over for Father's Day dinner and that I would smoke a port butt.  At the store I selected a nice 8.6 lbs Boston Butt. 


    Once home, I rinsed it thoroughly, wrapped it in plastic and put it in the refrigerator overnight.  The next morning I once again rinsed the meat and blotted it dry with paper towels.  I trimmed the fat cap off and as much surface fat as possible (smoke can't penetrate fat). The rub went on next and another wrap of plastic and a rest in the refrigerator while I attended to the smoker. Just before putting the butt on the smoker, I touched up the rub so it looked dry.

    The Smoker:

    I use a Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault. I lit the propane burner and set the gas valve on high and lit it.  Once lit I used the bottle valve to regulate temp to 250 F.  Once the vault came up to temp, I let it stabilize for 20 minutes. I filled the water tray to within 1/4 inch of the top. I set the vents to the minimum openings.

    The Wood:

    I soaked a mixture of Hickory and Cherry wood, medium chunks and chips.  I have never used cherry wood before and thought it would be nice on pork. I soak my woods for an hour and use this water in the water pan.  I prepared enough to add more to the smoker should I desire.  If I don't, I simply let it dry out and use next time.

    The Smoke:

    I put the butt on the top rack with one temp probe 1 inch from the meat and the other in the center of the thickest part of the butt. I did not open the door for 2 hours and I did add more wood chunks and chips (I wanted a good smoke on it). That was the only time I added wood.  I thought I had apple juice to spray on the bark to keep moisture on the meat, but there was none. I did find a bottle of pineapple juice so I used it. That was a good choice.  Next time I;ll mix it with some Jamesons Irish Whiskey. 

    I hit the stall at about 8 hours and the temp did not budge for almost 2 hours.  With the long stall, my timetable got a bit out of whack.  Since I was not going for pulled pork, I took the meat off at 190 F, wrapped it in foil and 2 tea towels to rest for 45 minutes before breaking into it.

    The Results:

    I sliced the money muscle and it had a great bark on one side.  It melted in our mouths. I was able to process the rest of the butt into nice chunks and what some call tubes.  While it was not pulled tender, it was a nice and juicy, full of smoke flavor and the bark was delicious. Everyone had seconds and took home the leftovers. I was counting on leftovers for this week, but I only have 1 days worth of leftovers here.


    I did not do 2 Boston Butts.

    I did not take any pictures (next time).

  2. noboundaries

    noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Hey Mark, sounds like a great smoke!  Congrats!  When people are Oooohing and Awwwing and Mmmmmming between and during bites, you're the happiest person at the table.  Sounds like you made everyone's Father's Day just a bit more special.

Share This Page