Another first for me. Hot water crust.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I'd seen a couple of posts about the hot water crusts here and my curiosity got the best of me.
I found a site called twocupsflour.com that had a recipe.
I didn't care for her filling but I used her dough mix:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
10.5 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp kosher salt (I omitted this)
2/3 cup water

Bring the water and butter to a boil and pour it into the flour mix and knead a little and form a ball. Yes, it's hot.
Weigh the ball and weigh into 4 equal smaller balls.
Roll between two pieces of parchment paper to about 1/8 " and lay in the ramekins (1 cup size), pressing to the sides leaving no gaps.
Trim the excess around the rims and save separately in 4 little balls.
Add your filling. I layered a cheddar mix, cut up baked potato, mixed vegetables with a boullion and water sauce and some browned cut up rib-eye. Heap it up.
Roll out those 4 little balls of dough for the tops. I forgot to use the egg wash to seal but it apparently wasn't really needed.
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes and drop to 375 for 45 minutes to an hour (or until the crust looks right).
I let them cool for about 15 minutes and they came right out of the ramekins, though I did use a bit of pam in the ramekins.
pies.jpg 1 pie.jpg

My dinner involved one of the pies with beef gravy, some leftover Mexican Rice and a slice of warmed up and buttered sourdough.
I know, it's motley but that's how I roll ;-)
pie plate.jpg

I was a little leary of using gravy in the filling because I didn't know how it would affect the crust but I don't think it would be an issue.
You could use your imagination for the fillings and this crust is just too simple.
I'm already thinking about what I want to use in the next ones (since I now have four 1 cup ramekins).

Thanks for looking, keep trying new things and have a wonderful afternoon!
Dan

Yes mose, I use this all the time and have posted it here.
The dough is great for lots of things. I made my Sweet and Sour pork belly pies with this.

You can make you innerds pretty wet . as that is what this crust is good for.

Pies look good

David

Reactions: daveomak
Also meant to say , I got my recipe from an English guy and he has
a great channel, " Keef Cooks". He is a pie maker from way back. Funny to watch .
Has a great list of foods he does.

David

The dough is great for lots of things. I made my Sweet and Sour pork belly pies with this.

Pies look good

David
Thank you!
David, your post is what got me interested. I tried to find "Keef Cooks" but couldn't find it.
I know now I could have gotten away with a lot more moisture but I was being conservative for my first try.
This has no end of possibilities.....

Hot Water Pastry Recipe (keefcooks.com)

Dan this should get you there . He is the one I got the dough from , I have quite a few real tin pie plates for the mini pies

And yes there are lots of possibility's with this crust , as it holds together well and is still great tasting
You will like the way he makes his pastry , just rolls on flour on the counter

David

Pies look good

David
I believe SteveH did something similar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky