Another duck on the weber rotisserie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Spun another duck on the weber rotisserie, neglected the kettle for a while and need some practice for spinning Turkey on Thanksgiving,

Brined for 30 hours in Oakridge BBQ dominator poultry brine with orange extract and a tablespoon of cure #1 (thanks Chop).

Then rubbed for 24 hours with Dominator rib rub, SPOG, smoked paprika and the zest of 2 smaller oranges.
rubbed.jpg

Smoke rolling with Cherry and Mesquite chunks

rolling smoke.jpg

While this was going I continued to close and net the pond over for the winter.
pond net.jpg

Spinning away, lit the fire pit for some drinks with the wife
fire pit.jpg

Coming along, cranked up the heat, basted it with a reduction of 4 oranges, 2 orange zests, triple sec, grand marnier, pepper, allspice and thyme.

done.jpg

All plated with mashed cauliflower and garlic sautéed spinach
plate.jpg

The taste was super good, I am a not a great note taker on smokes so this is my notes to myself. The first spin I did a few months ago I was pretty new to the kettle and temps where mostly in the 300's. Duck finished way early but did render nicely. This Time temps where in the low 300's for first hour then settled to the mid-low 200's for the next 2. I cranked heat back up to the 300's to glaze and crisp. Should have kept it in the 200's for at least another hour or so to render more fat...note to self, now that I have "learned" to somewhat control the temps this is a 4+ hour cook...lol or I need gmc2003 gmc2003 and his beer pole nearby to consult.

Lookin good. Strong work! That's a chicken sized duck right there!!
Thanks Doc, was not a bad size
Looks great, thanks for sharing it!
Thanks Bern
Looks awesome! Great work! Love a good duck and yours shows real tasty! Getting that rotisserie down!
yeah Jed, priming myself for Thanksgiving in PA, have anywhere between 13 and 21 people coming and no one will commit! Might need your new smoker if they all show up, lol

Sure looks good! Can't remember if I've actually ever had duck. But you keep reaffirming the fact that I need a rotisserie...thank you! My wife doesn't know what she's talking about when she says I don't need anything else...I still have plausible deniability! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: clifish
yeah Jed, priming myself for Thanksgiving in PA, have anywhere between 13 and 21 people coming and no one will commit! Might need your new smoker if they all show up, lol
I’ll be in Iowa for thanksgiving, have no problem loaning it to you while I’m gone if you want to borrow it! No joke👍💪

Fantastic looking duck Cliff, and spinach to boot. I'd be in heaven. Umm a traveling beer pole - interesting.

911 beer pole, what's your emergency.

Point for sure
Chris

Spun another duck on the weber rotisserie, neglected the kettle for a while and need some practice for spinning Turkey on Thanksgiving,

Brined for 30 hours in Oakridge BBQ dominator poultry brine with orange extract and a tablespoon of cure #1 (thanks Chop).

Then rubbed for 24 hours with Dominator rib rub, SPOG, smoked paprika and the zest of 2 smaller oranges.
View attachment 647467
Smoke rolling with Cherry and Mesquite chunks

View attachment 647468
While this was going I continued to close and net the pond over for the winter.
View attachment 647469
Spinning away, lit the fire pit for some drinks with the wife
View attachment 647470
Coming along, cranked up the heat, basted it with a reduction of 4 oranges, 2 orange zests, triple sec, grand marnier, pepper, allspice and thyme.

View attachment 647471
All plated with mashed cauliflower and garlic sautéed spinach
View attachment 647472
The taste was super good, I am a not a great note taker on smokes so this is my notes to myself. The first spin I did a few months ago I was pretty new to the kettle and temps where mostly in the 300's. Duck finished way early but did render nicely. This Time temps where in the low 300's for first hour then settled to the mid-low 200's for the next 2. I cranked heat back up to the 300's to glaze and crisp. Should have kept it in the 200's for at least another hour or so to render more fat...note to self, now that I have "learned" to somewhat control the temps this is a 4+ hour cook...lol or I need gmc2003 gmc2003 and his beer pole nearby to consult.
Gives Long Island duck a new meaning! Looks incredible I only wish I had gotten an invite :emoji_wink: Your yard looks mighty nice too!

Looks incredible! I’ve got to try duck at some point.
Thanks Sven, you should spin one on the Kudo
Sure looks good! Can't remember if I've actually ever had duck. But you keep reaffirming the fact that I need a rotisserie...thank you! My wife doesn't know what she's talking about when she says I don't need anything else...I still have plausible deniability! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
They are cool to have, not a huge expense if you have a 22" Kettle. Mine was $79 on Amazon, for $130 I could have bought the one that also is a pizza oven or you could add a second grate.
Awesome! Great color on that bird! Plate looks perfect! Like!
Thanks, cherry wood and the spinner = great color

I’ll be in Iowa for thanksgiving, have no problem loaning it to you while I’m gone if you want to borrow it! No joke👍💪
Thanks Jed I appreciate the offer. Offsets are way out of my league now skill wise....and I really don't think the first time I ever trailer-ed something should be your new baby.

Fantastic looking duck Cliff, and spinach to boot. I'd be in heaven. Umm a traveling beer pole - interesting.

911 beer pole, what's your emergency.

Point for sure
Chris
We may have to test some ideas on that one, maybe incorporate something like this.
1667227047771.png

Gives Long Island duck a new meaning! Looks incredible I only wish I had gotten an invite :emoji_wink: Your yard looks mighty nice too!
Come on back to the Island, we can fish and do duck. The leaves are already coming down, it is a fine line when to net the pond, don't want to do it too early or late.
That some fine look chow. Great cook.
Thanks Brian, how has the fishing been?
Yes please. That looks amazing.
Thanks Loyd, trying to keep the carbs at bay anyway we can.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw and gmc2003
Slow! Lake down so much been on hunt for better boat ramp. Settled on State park. Just been Bass fishing and not having any luck. Hopefully not to windy tomorrow and can go further north to try new spot.
That's right you mention not being able use the ramp and you needed to find another that would work with the Jeep's 4.0

Holy smokes Cliff. That is nothing short of spectacular buddy. A truly drop-dead gorgeous bird and a first rate meal. Very well done sir.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky