Another dry brisket thread... details and questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQlover81

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Hi all,
I'm new to the smoking world (have a Traeger, and used it a few times for ribs, which have turned out well).

Tried brisket for the first time yesterday, and while it taste good (with sauce), it was way too dry. I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Here are the details:
-Costco brisket, about 7.5lbs
-Seasoned about 12hrs before cook. Montreal seasoning, which consists mainly of salt, garlic and pepper (I realize that this may have been an error... maybe there was too much salt)
-I did trim the fat down to a bit less than a quarter inch
-Cooked on Traeger smoker @ 225 for about 5.5hrs. Fat side down. The temperature of the brisket actually climbed pretty quickly. It had hit 160 in under 4hrs, but hit the stall then. My recipe had asked for 6hrs before moving to the next stage, so I let it continue to smoke till it hit about 165
-At the 2, 3 and 4 hour marks, I sprayed it with a Coke/ Apple cider mix
-At 5.5 hrs, moved it to a foil wrap. Added the Coke/ Apple cider mix
-Continued to smoke for about 3hrs. I think it reached about 205 by the end, although I may not have placed the thermometer in the right spot (so it may have actually been hotter than that)
-However, I did do the poke test periodically towards the end, and I think that it was fairly soft (although maybe no soft enough)... more like refrigerated butter as opposed to soft butter
-At the end, I wrapped it in foil and towels, and placed in the cooler for about 2hrs

It looked good (imo), but it was extremely dry (see pic). There were a few good mouths which were the ones that had a bit of fat. But really only a couple were like that. I had to add sauce.

Any suggestions as to ways that I can improve? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 148
Bbq,
The first thing I would say about it... is that a brisket? It might be a really thick flat of the brisket. This would definitely make getting a juicy outcome quite a bit tougher but not impossible.
You should check out smokin Al’s post on flats.
Next thing is that the temps are really just a guide and brisket really needs to be “done” when the probe goes through the meat like a hot knife through butter.
Most likely you took it off a little too soon and it came out dry. Unfortunately that’s what happens because you really think it should be done and don’t want to burn it.
Try again using the internal temps as a guide and let it ride until it’s probe ready.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: BBQlover81
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was thinking that maybe it was just the Flat. Next time I'll need to ask my local Costco if they have any whole briskets. Or if not, maybe try a different vendor.

I'll give it another try and rely more on the probe test.

Another possibility is that you trimmed off too much fat before the cook. Many say it doesn't matter if fat side is down or up, but I think I get better results when it is up. Also, placement in your grill is important....you want to put the thickest side towards the burn pot, and possibly leave a little extra fat there to protect the meat.

I'm sure others will have additional ideas. Pick a few of them, incorporate into your process, and give it another go.

Another possibility is that you trimmed off too much fat before the cook. Many say it doesn't matter if fat side is down or up, but I think I get better results when it is up. Also, placement in your grill is important....you want to put the thickest side towards the burn pot, and possibly leave a little extra fat there to protect the meat.

I'm sure others will have additional ideas. Pick a few of them, incorporate into your process, and give it another go.

Thanks, I'll give that fat side up a try too.

I'm going to be experimenting a lot over the coming weeks.... should be a tasty process

Start with solid basics. IMO better to leave more fat on than trim too much off. Suggest beginning with the ol' school Texas approach to seasoning, 50-50 salt & pepper on a full packer and then into the smoker. Personally I've had better luck running closer to 270º. A rough bench mark at this temp is approx 40-45min/lb. Speaking of which. Weight ALL the trimmings you cut off and subtract that from the sticker so you'll know how many pounds will actually be smoking. I wrapped my last brisket (see signature) in butcher paper after it had been in the stall for about an hour ie 168-170º. When I decided via probing it was time, I pulled it, cut open the paper to allow the heat to start escaping for 5-10 min then proceeded to place in a cooler with towels for 1.5hrs before serving. Remember pulling a wrapped brisket and directly putting it into a cooler actually allows the cooking process to continue and it could end up beyond where you wanted it.

I'm also a novice and for what it's worth had similar experiences. The problem is that you're probably buying the costco flat (it has to be if it's only 7lbs). The ones near me don't sell packers unfortunately. Two times I tried the costco flats and two times they came out dry. It's not a forgiving piece of meat and for that reason I would try to find a grocer that has packers. My first time smoking a full packer was way better and it came out very moist and flavorful after a 2 hour rest. Just my thoughts, hope you have better luck next time.

Agree with others, leave a bit more fat on it. You can always remove fat when craving if you don't want it, but if I am at the table, put it on my plate please!.

You could use Bear's "Drip Pan" with the trimmings above dripping on it, and cook fatside down, and have both sides "protected". That is probably how I am going to do the one I am putting on in the AM. With my smoker setup, I want to protect the bottom from quite so much direct heat.

When I decided via probing it was time, I pulled it, cut open the paper to allow the heat to start escaping for 5-10 min then proceeded to place in a cooler with towels for 1.5hrs before serving. Remember pulling a wrapped brisket and directly putting it into a cooler actually allows the cooking process to continue and it could end up beyond where you wanted it.

Thanks Scholtz. In that case, did you put it into the cooler earlier than usual? In other words, did you pull it before it passed the "wet butter" test (sorry don't know the correct terminology lol)

Reactions: Habitual Smoker
I'm also a novice and for what it's worth had similar experiences. The problem is that you're probably buying the costco flat (it has to be if it's only 7lbs). The ones near me don't sell packers unfortunately. Two times I tried the costco flats and two times they came out dry. It's not a forgiving piece of meat and for that reason I would try to find a grocer that has packers.

Interesting, thanks. I'll search around in the area (NJ). Maybe I'll try a butcher.
I'm hesitant to spend a lot at this stage though because I expect to ruin some while learning.

Thanks Scholtz. In that case, did you put it into the cooler earlier than usual? In other words, did you pull it before it passed the "wet butter" test (sorry don't know the correct terminology lol)
No, the 5-10 rest in the open with paper pulled back stopped the cooking prior to putting in the cooler.

Look through some of Bear's Step by Step. He uses it with twice smoke hams, not sure if he has done one with brisket.

Pretty simple. Take foil pan, poke some holes in the bottom, put the trimming in the pan, place pan above the brisket and as the fat renders it will drip down and baste the brisket.

Interesting, thanks. I'll search around in the area (NJ). Maybe I'll try a butcher.
I'm hesitant to spend a lot at this stage though because I expect to ruin some while learning.
I just bought an 11# packer at smart and final for $30. you can find some deals out there if you don't mind lower grade meat for practice.

Make sure your thermometer is accurate and the the Traeger one is also accurate?
I used the Traeger one and also borrowed my friends Thermostick... the temperatures were pretty close.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I wasn't placing the thermometer at the optimal spot.

Finally was able to pick up a full packer brisket from Costco (15lb USDA Prime). Cooked it for about 11hrs yesterday @ 225, and it turned out much better than the 1st time. Much more moist inside.

The only issue I had this time was with the slicing! My knife didn't handle it very well, so got to find a good knife for slicing now.

Attachments

• IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 58
Finally was able to pick up a full packer brisket from Costco (15lb USDA Prime). Cooked it for about 11hrs yesterday @ 225, and it turned out much better than the 1st time. Much more moist inside.

The only issue I had this time was with the slicing! My knife didn't handle it very well, so got to find a good knife for slicing now.
Just saw this post, my first 2 packers came out dry. What did you do different that you’re moisture was better? I know I overcooked mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky