Another Cool Michigan Morning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
"Where's the Beef" Yet another smoke filled day in the garage with both smokers roaring. The Pit Boss pellet smoker was SLOWLY smoking an eye of round beef roast that had been marinating over night with Tony's steak seasoning and the Char-Griller smoker had the start of this years cheeses. After 3 hours the maple pellet tube smoked cheeses came off, settled and rapped and dated. After 5 hours the tough as shoe leather roast was placed in a slow cooker to finish to fork cutting tenderness. Mashed taters and gravy finished the meal. And of course I ate way too much, AGAIN.
Someday I going to buy a meat slicer.

100_0333.JPG

Cool in more ways than 1 lol,bought a cheap slicer recently and hope to smoke something and give it a good work out

Reactions: martin1950
Looks real good & yes a meat slicer would give you the ability to shave off slices.
That way they are much more tender!
They make a great roast beef sandwich, cut real thin, with AuJus!
Al

Thanks y'all, but I didn't go into that eye of round blindly. I new what to expect. For nine years in Alaska, we ate a lot of moose and caribou, ultra lean meat. The invention of the crockpot made life a lot tastier and saved on the jaw muscles.
Yes, a meat slicer is going to do a lot of deli-slicing of beef around here. Now all I have to do is to learn patients with my cheese aging in the frig.

Thanks y'all, but I didn't go into that eye of round blindly. I new what to expect. For nine years in Alaska, we ate a lot of moose and caribou, ultra lean meat. The invention of the crockpot made life a lot tastier and saved on the jaw muscles.
Yes, a meat slicer is going to do a lot of deli-slicing of beef around here. Now all I have to do is to learn patients with my cheese aging in the frig.
Have you ever considered a pressure cooker or Instant Pot for finishing those tougher cuts of meat? We are new to the Instant Pot and did a pot roast last week that fell apart at the touch of a fork. And we did a corned beef brisket yesterday for 90 minutes and it was as tender as any I've ever done in a crock pot. You might want to look into that. :emoji_sunglasses:

You should try Sous Vide for tough cuts, it's far superior to a Crock Pot.

And how many trips out on the Big Lake is that going to cost me? LOL
None, if I want salmon the river is in my back yard they pretty much swim to me these days lol.

I bought these things REALLY right, no comparison between a commercial slicer and home use variety but your welcome to take one home and try it out we don't use them much if ever these days.

Looks good to me. I use an old 70's Oyster meat slicer that I got from parents. For the amount of slicing I actually do it serves the purpose, and doesn't take up allot of kitchen real estate.

Point for sure
Chris

I just took out two Globe commercial slicer's, take one home and see how you like it.
Well I took InThePittBBQ up on his offer. Went down to Indiana yesterday, had a great BS session and even learned a thing or two. This ole dog can still learn a new trick. This isn't your average in house slicer. I haven't seen a "healthy" slicer like this since my days in the mess hall back in the 60's and 70's. Oops, I'll admit it, I was a GI cook in my much younger days. Thanks again Bob, she's cleaned and waiting for her next hunk of meat, broken leg and all.
Martin

Reactions: InThePittBBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky