Another chicken sausage query

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
I've been making sausage for just a short time.

Just watched a Chud YouTube video where he stuffed some chicken sausage and immediately smoked it. I read his ingredient list and there was no mention of Cure #1. He smoked it at 150. Is that why he didn't need cure?

Are there simple guidelines detailing when you do or don't have to use cure #1?

I'm really wanting to try his chicken sausage recipe but want to be safe.

Thanks

Easy. If you smoke at high enough temps to get finished in 4 hours or less, no cure needed, but if smoking for longer times at lower temps, you need cure.

He smoked it at 150.
Finished to 150° IT, or was the pit running at 150°? Big difference there. Either way, you want to reach fully cooked temps within 4 hrs if not using cure.

Checked again. He's running the pit at 150 for 3-4hrs. One of his videos is using cure, the other is not.

For uncured comminuted meats, you need to hit 140° IT in 4 hrs. to remain safe. Meat temps generally lag 15 to 20 degrees behind pit temps.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I would use a cure to be safe. Chicken normally should be cooked to 160 to be considered cooked. IMHO at 150 you should cook the sausage to 160 internal before you consume it

For uncured comminuted meats, you need to hit 140° IT in 4 hrs. to remain safe. Meat temps generally lag 15 to 20 degrees behind pit temps.
This ^^^^^^^^^^ is the text book and correct answer for uncured commuted meats like sausage.

If cure #1 is used you have more leeway.

Thanks all. Those are the numbers that I have heard and understood were acceptable. I will stick with the tried and true to be safe. Maybe he cranked up the temps after the third hour and that got edited out but a lot of people watch his videos.

Good info from the group but that is an amateur mistake. Interesting times we live in where we presume a recipe or process is good because view counts or subs. Seen his videos and not a fan for some reason. That said, chicken sausage is great stuff! I like thighs and use the skin too. There are some REALLY good chicken sausage threads here if you dig.

Thanks all. Those are the numbers that I have heard and understood were acceptable. I will stick with the tried and true to be safe. Maybe he cranked up the temps after the third hour and that got edited out but a lot of people watch his videos.

It is unfortunate that there are a lot of unsafe videos out there. Most of the folks that came here realized that the info you get here is spot on, or the Mods or Admins remove it quickly.
Al

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have to tell you that the recipe he provided made an incredible tasting chicken sausage. I mixed 50/50 breast and thighs with close to a pound of chicken livers thrown in. Yes, I added the cure :) Made a patty from the stuffer excess and it was great. Stuffed 5# of links and they are soaking in hickory smoke right now at around 145 for a while and I'll check on them in a couple of hours.

Reactions: DougE and chopsaw
Gonna be good . I always add cure to chicken sausage no matter the cooking method . Make sure you post up the results .

That said, chicken sausage is great stuff! I like thighs and use the skin too. There are some REALLY good chicken sausage threads here if you dig.
I use all bone in skin on thighs for the chicken sausages I make. By grinding the skin as well as the meat, I don't find that any additional fat is needed.

They came out pretty good.

IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG

Since I added cure to this mix, is there going to be a problem since I didn't let it cure overnight? They are in the fridge now. I would hate to have to toss them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky