Andouille it is

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks GREAT. Nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

.Should send some to your parents and maybe they would have me over for supper.

Looks good from where i sit!

"It would be usless to buy andoullie in the store to compare this recipe too becase you cannot compare store bought to home made  ."

LOL every mom and pop store down here has there own recipe and makes it on site so it is home made.

along w/ boudin , head cheese and cracklins .

But you better bring a gun if you're trying to get someones recipes.

Looks good from where i sit!

"It would be usless to buy andoullie in the store to compare this recipe too becase you cannot compare store bought to home made  ."

LOL every mom and pop store down here has there own recipe and makes it on site so it is home made.

along w/ boudin , head cheese and cracklins .

But you better bring a gun if you're trying to get someones recipes.
here in nc there are very few mom and pop stores making sausage like they do in La. 99.9 percent of the sausage in nc would be country sausage. The department of agriculture stepped in several years ago shut down stores from processing meat . If I had to buy andouillie it would from a food chain like fresh market. I bought some of their kielbasa once and it was awfull 

I should move to La.

Last edited:
If they tried to stop the stores here from processing meat and making sausage we would have another civil war . Alot of the smaller stores count on being able to make extra money in the winter processing deer and making sausage for all the hunters .

here is the recipe I use

Andouille -

5 pounds pork butt
1/2 pound pork fat
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
1 tablespoons cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon dry thyme
4 tablespoons salt

1 teaspoon cure #1
hog casings)

stuff then hang to dry in the smoker @130F for a few hours. Apply a heavy smoke for at leat 4-6 hrs raise temp to 170 and continue smoking until an internal temp of 150 F.

Big-Guy,
I'm making your sausage today and noticed the "4 Tablespoons" of salt. Is that correct? The original post was using 5 teaspoons of salt. The Rytek Kutas recipe uses 1 Tablespoon of salt. 4x the salt just seems like a lot... Wanted to make sure before I commit to your recipe. Thanks - Matt

this thread is 10 years old -- if he is still on here, he'll post a reply. I'd do about 1 to 2 Tbsp -- 3 tsp = 1 tbsp, and then taste for salt before stuffing. But remember, most Cajun folks usually don't eat this like a good Kielbasa, or Klobasy. They use it to flavor a pot of something else. Take care. R

I used 5 tsp of salt cause I used tenderquick which has added salt. Big guy used 5 tbsp but didn't specify table salt or kosher. I would go with 4 tbsp of kosher. Better to have less than too much. Kosher is 1/2 of table salt

Boykjo

We’re going to make this Saturday. Thank you for the play-by-play! I know the thread is old but I’m glad it was bumped.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky