Andouille & Cajun Sausage ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
You've seen it all before, nut this week the butts was on special.

IMG_9395.JPG

I use short links with andouille because it saves waste. Each of those short fat links is a pot full of goodness. I don't care for beef middles, they are always too tuff IMHO. 'Course if I had teeth it might be different....LOL

IMG_9402.JPG

40 lbs of butts gave me 30 lbs of meat after deboning and a lot of fat removal.
I then added some of the good fat back to then andouille (I am thinking now maybe a bit too much).

I out smarted myself on the sausage. I decided to double grind the meat with a small plate. I thought it would be less grainy or course, thereby loading easier and it should be more tender. What I got was more like a tuff sausage bologna LOL Now I know. LOL

IMG_9410.JPG

Smoked the sausage about 6 hours total, of course both have cure added so I felt safe.

IMG_9409.JPG

You'll note the A-MAZE-N Oval, it was pushed all the way in thinking it would be more than enough with the door cracked, and it was. BTW its Apple/pecan, because its my favorite.

IMG_9420.JPG

Well when the sausage was done there was some smoke left in the oval but not enough after decideing to go ahead and do the andouille. Generally I only do one a day because it allows more time smoking.....Smells so good. Back to the story, so when the finished I thought about burning my fingers and re-filling and lighting that hot oval again. Then I remembered my 6" tube. Loaded it and had it ready to take the ovals place.

IMG_9415.JPG

End result Cajun Sausage

IMG_9431.JPG

End result andouille. See the link size difference? Makes it easy to not mistake them.

I also had a big thick fat cap left so I threw it in a brine cure cause it looked like bacon to me! Or would that be buckboard, when its done I'll share.

Also I rendered a bunch of fat and got a pure pint of beautiful lard. Which I decided to try yeast doughnuts with. No, no, not all of it just a little.

IMG_9406.JPG

Thats a glaze on top silly, not lard.....LOL

Ok, that's about 25 links of cajun sausage, 25 links of andouille, a quart of back fat lard & probably a few a pounds of bacon.

That's it, and before some one asks, the spice mixes are not mine to share. I wish I could.

Dang man there you go again I'm sitting here starved and looking at such goodness. Is that house next to you still for sale?

Warren

Dang man there you go again I'm sitting here starved and looking at such goodness. Is that house next to you still for sale?

Warren

What I do is, I get creative tonight so I have something good tomorrow, especially when smoking when I really want it. Ya know, I think I may go make something for tomorrow. I'll have to see what I have components for. LOL

I’m making some andouille today will be smoking it tomorrow, I absolutely love
homemade andouille sausage, my all time favorite.

Cal

I have to agree, I have made terrible andouille that was still better than the best available for purchase these days. I just can no longer make a gumbo or red beans or even green beans without it. Veggies I generally go with Tasso but sometimes .........

I say it every time . You get the color perfect . I can't imagine how good they taste .
Always interested in what you put out there .

Indaswamp said:
Looks good foam...been a while since I've had homemade doughnuts. Were they 'cake' type doughnuts of light and fluffy?
There is no way a cake doughnut can be anything but a sinker, floaters are yeast and some lighter and fluffier than others. These are like Krispy Creme only better tasting!

My mistake, I should have proof read my post better. Should have read:

Were they 'cake' type doughnuts OR light and fluffy?

either way, they look delicious!

Reactions: foamheart
[
That's it, and before some one asks, the spice mixes are not mine to share. I wish I could.[/QUOTE]
Dang would have loved to get at least the Cajun recipe...oh well still I liked everything on your post.....it is a like

[
That's it, and before some one asks, the spice mixes are not mine to share. I wish I could.
Dang would have loved to get at least the Cajun recipe...oh well still I liked everything on your post.....it is a like[/QUOTE]

If you'd like to try something close, try the andouille and sausage recipes on the "NOLA recipes", look around the site for some pretty good cajun recipes.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

Looks awesome as always Foam. I always look forward to the sausage threads you post, just really like the authenticity of how you make it!

Looks awesome as always Foam. I always look forward to the sausage threads you post, just really like the authenticity of how you make it!

Thank you sir.

I swear everytime I make andouille I am going to do it the old way with the other cure, not the fast cure. I understand that it used to be hung with the hams as was the tasso and bacon. But my mind is no longer than my ....... foot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky