And I'm Off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 15, 2017
N.Western Pa.
I have been putting this off for several months now and I finally decided to make some bacon. I purchased a 9 lb. belly at the local butcher shop and am using Bear's "Bacon Extra Smokey" recipe. I'm going to back off on the smoke somewhat as the wife doesn't care for a lot of smoke. Will post follow up pics.

001.JPG

Gonna be good
Hoping so, unless I mess it up. Have used several of Bears recipes, and I know if they don't turn out well it's on me. -THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE - The wife just said to me not 5 minutes ago "You have big shoes to fill" Thanks my friend!:emoji_wink: No pressure!!:emoji_anguished:

After 9 days of flipping and massaging the bacon and letting it soak in the sink for an hour, it was time to do the fry test
FEB 2019 Bacon 002.JPG

Placed on clean smoker racks and put it in the beer fridge for a day and a half. I did add CBP to 1/3 of the belly.
FEB 2019 Bacon 004.JPG

Time to smoke using apple dust. As said before, wife does not like a lot of smoke (she is coming around, so I don't want to push it!) The top rack was smoked for 2hrs the second rack 3hrs and the third for 4hrs.
FEB 2019 Bacon 006.JPG

FEB 2019 Bacon 007.JPG

Slicing the bacon by hand (will remedy that soon)
FEB 2019 Bacon 011.JPG

FEB 2019 Bacon 017.JPG

And the finished product that we had been waiting for......

FEB 2019 Bacon 019.JPG

The bacon turned out very well considering that it wasn't smoked very long. What we both found surprising was the fact that the three racks all tasted a little bit different, but there wasn't a noticeable smokiness to any of them......... my wife even said that it wasn't smokey and that I can put more smoke to the next belly I get!!!:emoji_laughing: So...........tomorrow I'm going to stop and order another belly and put some serious smoke to it!!!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• FEB 2019 Bacon 016.JPG
    FEB 2019 Bacon 016.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 12
Looks great to me. I hope the Valentines Bunny brought you a slicer.
I think you could have easily added more (longer) smoke without it going overboard. Personally, I like Bear's Extra Smoky version, but that is just me (and the wife).
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bacon-extra-smoky.108099/
Thanks Braz. Yeah, I could have added more smoke easily but don't want to turn the wife off, so it's slow and steady!! I think I'll call that belly "her's" and the one I'm ordering tomorrow will be "his"!! I was going to order a slicer last weekend but got busy and forgot about it.

Thanks Peachey. I'm off to the meatcutter tomorrow to get another belly!

Your Bacon looks excellent, Denny!!
I think that's a Smart move, breaking her in gradually on the Smoke.
However Mrs Bear doesn't like much, if any Smoke on most things, but She loves my Bacon, BBB, and CB with 11 hours of Hickory from one full AMNPS.
Like.

Bear

Your Bacon looks excellent, Denny!!
I think that's a Smart move, breaking her in gradually on the Smoke.
However Mrs Bear doesn't like much, if any Smoke on most things, but She loves my Bacon, BBB, and CB with 11 hours of Hickory from one full AMNPS.
Like.

Bear
Thank you Bear. Even before I started smoking she wasn't real keen on smoked meat and it is really a wonder that I didn't turn her completely against it when I started smoking!! I think I'm going to go for 11 hours on my next one and use hickory dust in my AMNPS. Thanks for the like!

Looks awesome Gator and you got the wife's approval too.

Looks real good. I need to talk with our butcher about getting a belly to try. I like th BB bacon but need to mix it up a little

Gator , looks great bud . Cooked up perfect , love the color . Did you eat it all ? Put some back in for a double smoke .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky