Analog MES wiring mod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rem437

Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Hi, everybody!

So I searched a couple of times to see if I could find someone with a similar problem, to no avail.

I have an analog controlled MES with a replacement control and element. Went to fire it up for the first time in a while and saw temps were too low. Started looking around and saw what is in the pictures. Burnt/corroded wires on the controller and a slightly broken.... End? on the heating element. I'm wondering what my options are for salvaging both pieces without buying another element/controller. I suppose specifically, what's the best way to connect the wires from the potentiometer/controller to the element? Should I try to break of the end on the left side of the element? Reattach the nub on the right? What high heat connectors? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a whole new one?

Love my smoker, have had the mailbox mod with AMNPS for a few years but find myself in this situation too often.
Edit: not quite ready for the Auber.

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_142205.jpg
    IMG_20220614_142205.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220614_142116.jpg
    IMG_20220614_142116.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 30
Hi, everybody!

So I searched a couple of times to see if I could find someone with a similar problem, to no avail.

I have an analog controlled MES with a replacement control and element. Went to fire it up for the first time in a while and saw temps were too low. Started looking around and saw what is in the pictures. Burnt/corroded wires on the controller and a slightly broken.... End? on the heating element. I'm wondering what my options are for salvaging both pieces without buying another element/controller. I suppose specifically, what's the best way to connect the wires from the potentiometer/controller to the element? Should I try to break of the end on the left side of the element? Reattach the nub on the right? What high heat connectors? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a whole new one?

Love my smoker, have had the mailbox mod with AMNPS for a few years but find myself in this situation too often.
Edit: not quite ready for the Auber.
Hi there and welcome!

Well you kinda have some options.
I'm mostly concerned about the broken prong in your first picture. My guess is that you don't have a good connection to it with your controller plugin part and it is causing the connection parts to heat up, expand, and lose connection thereby not allowing electricity to efficiently get to the heating element and causing your lack of smoker heat.

This is likely the part for $11 before shipping ( be sure to verify the proper part though before buying, i dont know your model number and I am making a pure guess here):

Option 1: If shipping isn't bad then that is likely an easy fix as you can just use pliers to bend the controller connections back in place to make a tight and secure connection to the element prongs.

Option 2: Now, you can try and do some type soldering job that permanently connects the controller plugin part to the heating element prongs including the broken prong. Then reassemble the plastic casing on the controller afterwards.
I'm not sure this would work or would keep from melting parts of plastic on the controller casing but it might be a jury rigged option lol.
If you don't have a soldering kit or know how then it is likely less expensive to just buy the new element and proceed with option 1.

The controller looks like it has some wear and use too it but I didnt see anything showing that it was the definite failure point. The picture didnt show it call but my guess is you are lacking good solid connection to the broken element prong. In general practice of fixing things. It is best practice to fix the noticeably broken stuff first then address warning signs next, and proceed until the item is fixed and working. So following that process, this is where my suggestions are coming from :)

I hope this info helps :)

Hi there and welcome!

Excellent, thank you very much. I'm thinking I'll take option 1 and pay the $7.99 parcel shipping from masterbuilt and hope it gets here in time to make good use of it this summer. I appreciate it.

Are you aware of any good replacement connectors that would go inside of the controller? Or a preferred way to clean them up/prevent them wearing in the first place? I seem to vaguely recall greasing the parts with something last time but clearly I should take better notes...

My guess is that you don't have a good connection to it with your controller plugin part
That was my first thought when I saw the pics . High resistance causing heat from a bad connection . The weakest link fails first and goes from there .

I thought someone posted an after market kit for those that came with both the element and the controller ?
I'd replace both myself . Looks like to much corrosion for me .

I'll have to see if I can find that .

Reactions: tallbm
Think I would replace both as well! Quite some time ago I was having issues with my analog mes, so I called them ( shows you how long ago that was, when they still answered their phones) wasn't sure if it was the element or controller so they sent me both free of charge and no shipping cost. I was very happy with them!

Ryan

Reactions: tallbm
Excellent, thank you very much. I'm thinking I'll take option 1 and pay the $7.99 parcel shipping from masterbuilt and hope it gets here in time to make good use of it this summer. I appreciate it.

Are you aware of any good replacement connectors that would go inside of the controller? Or a preferred way to clean them up/prevent them wearing in the first place? I seem to vaguely recall greasing the parts with something last time but clearly I should take better notes...
No im not aware of what replacement connectors you would need. I would just slide it on and get to forming in place with some pliers and hope for the best hahaha.

I like the idea of $40 u replace both and don't have to hassle with it for a long time out. Let us know what u land on doing :)

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky