An off topic question??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingohiobutcher

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 21, 2009
The North Coast of Ohio
I know this doesnt have anything to do with smoking but since there are alot of very informative people on this forum , I have a question?

Can PEX tubing be used as an airline for an air compressor instead of Iron pipe?? I want to put a run from my garage to the other end of the house, and was thinking PEX would be easier. Not to mention have way less joints to possibly leak.

Any help would great!

Thanks

SOB

I'm not sure what PEX tubing is, but I would think it would have to be rated for at least 200 psi. I did the same thing only I used copper pipe. Why not just use regular air hose?

What I am using it for is a run to a room in my basement that I am going to set up for T-shirt airbrushing. I used to do alot of it before we had kids(11 years ago) and would like to get back to it.
Both the kids have shown interest in learning to do it, and they are the right age to want to wear it at school. The airbrushes I use work best at 60 psi. for T-shirt work.

Thanks again.
SOB

pex is a low pressure water line, if you plan on using 1 chunk to run with out any joints except for connectors on the end you might get lucky and not have any leaks.  you will need to have a pressure regulator and an inline water filter also.  good luck!

i did a search and found this info..but its for water pressure

Aquapex meets ASTM F876 and F877, and is certified to NSF standards 14
and 61. It is rated by the PPI : 200°F at 80 psi, 180°F at 100 psi,
and 73.4°F at 160 psi.

Last edited:
Sob we have never tried pex for airlines in our enclosed race trailers. We always use schedule 80 PVC and have had zero problems with it. Make sure to include a water trap if it is a long run or the air is submitted to quick temperature changes.

Last edited:
pex is a low pressure water line, if you plan on using 1 chunk to run with out any joints except for connectors on the end you might get lucky and not have any leaks.  you will need to have a pressure regulator and an inline water filter also.  good luck!

i did a search and found this info..but its for water pressure

Aquapex meets ASTM F876 and F877, and is certified to NSF standards 14
and 61. It is rated by the PPI : 200°F at 80 psi, 180°F at 100 psi,
and 73.4°F at 160 psi.
PEX pipes have never been approved for compressed air applications only because the costs are so high to get things approved. ASTM F876 and 877 are the standards for water systems because that was the market it originally came to the US for.  I was involved in the process to get a line of PEX pipes approved for potable water systems many years ago and I can tell you that it is very expensive and time consuming to get the product approved for a certain application which is why it hasn't been done yet. 10,000 hour testing requirements make for a very long process.  I can tell you that I have had air lines in place since 1998 using Pex at 100PSI in a commercial application and have not had a failure.  The tubing just doesn't have the "proper labeling" to meet code.  I would just recommend using the compression style connections rather than the crimp style.

Hope this helps.

Barry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky